Forum 5

Emergency Call Not Available.

It’s likely the cold snap finally pushing its battery over the edge but today I’ve got the Emergency Calls Not Available warning. What a nuisance and the cars only 4 years old. I’m a bit too stiff now for the acrobatics of changing it so it looks like a moderately expensive $tealer trip. No doubt there’ll be the usual charge for diagnostics to tell them what they already know too…..

I'm expecting mine to throw up a fail any at moment with this cold.

Presume you saw the price I was quoted to replace it when I had the grill shutter issue. My car is just 3 1/2 years old.

What a stupid place to put what in effect is a service item! 

Let us know how it goes, if you can get the part number of the battery so I can cross reference it definitively.

4 hours ago, ally said:

Where are you based again? 

Kingdom of Fife.

I only know 1 reputable independent nearby (Mtech Autos) and they’ve not replied yet whether/when they’ll do it and how much. I’ve used them before OK. My MOT is due next month so I’m hoping to get it done at the same time.

It’s irritating me just now because the warning is pegged on the dash and keeps catching my eye, not disappearing like others generally do.

• 1 month later...

This is for my 6GT but the location of the TCB is similar for all Gxx cars, just the access differs, some will be easier others very similar. Changed it myself saving around £350 in BMW labour charges. 

I got as far as reading through the ISTA work schedule before deciding that it’s still far too cold to consider spending a few hours on this. Subzero again this morning and everything white with frost so I guess I’ll put up with it for a bit yet. As you’ve mentioned, the pukka BMW method involves dropping the whole lining with attendant warnings about exploding airbags so it’s encouraging to see it can be done with a bit less dismantling.