Forum 5

What brake pads?

ilja j

Hi there,

Ive got lots of questions on brakes , i want to change my brake pads, but anywhere online i go i have like 4 different option for brake pads.

Different brake systems : TRW , Teves, for vehicles with high speed brake system.

How the hell do i know what brake pads do i need 🤣 before i used to just buy any and thats it, but for this car i got a choice. Going on OEM website the part number i get for front brake pads is for the high speed brake system pads (textar) but i dont think i got high speed brake system , as i thought it for emergency vehicles only?

help would be greatly appreciated.

BMW 5 series 530D F10 LCI - YA65VMV

The best way is to measure the thickness of the brake discs, I believe its 30mm (Non high speed brake system) and 36mm (High speed brake system). This assuming you want to change the front discs as you dont mention this? 

Once you know that you can then choose appropiate pads, via "Fitment" detail. Dont forget to get a wear sensor also..

• Like 1

£95 for BMW pads & sensor from Stratstone BMW  I think it’s £75 for textar last time I looked.

The easiest way to tell which ones you need is to send them an email….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203557913039?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8SpjZ6w1QdG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ek6EcSQUQNW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Percha said:

The best way is to measure the thickness of the brake discs, I believe its 30mm (Non high speed brake system) and 36mm (High speed brake system). This assuming you want to change the front discs as you dont mention this? 

Once you know that you can then choose appropiate pads, via "Fitment" detail. Dont forget to get a wear sensor also..

Thank you for that, if im not able to find out other ways im gonna have to measure the brake disks, but no i wasnt planning on changing the disks , just the pads

4 hours ago, Stringbag said:

£95 for BMW pads & sensor from Stratstone BMW  I think it’s £75 for textar last time I looked.

The easiest way to tell which ones you need is to send them an email….

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203557913039?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=8SpjZ6w1QdG&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=Ek6EcSQUQNW&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thank you! I sent them an email , see what they say , im looking at textar only cause ive been recommended them on the forum before 

@ilja j yes I understand you are only changing pads, but there are only "two" types, high speed brake system and no high speed brake system.

Measuring the discs is a lot easier than taking pads out and measuring them! As you can measure discs with the wheel still on.

Once you have done that you will know what pads to order.

Edited by Percha

A VIN decode should tell you if your vehicle was built with high speed brakes... for interest mine is an ex-Kent traffic car and has standard 30mm fronts. I've regularly had it over 160mph and the standard discs are fine slamming on at those speeds.

On 07/12/2022 at 07:06, Percha said:

Hi there, so i have just measured my front and back disks, the fornts came at just over 37mm and back 30mm. So does that mean for the fronts i need high speed brake pads?

53 minutes ago, Percha said:

It does sound like you have the "High Speed Brake System" when you did a VIN decode (https://www.mdecoder.com/), I believe you should see this option: 5AE HIGH-SPEED BRAKE SYSTEM.

All you state points to you having this option this!

When i put my details in there , just shows all the M packages but doesnt have an option for high speed brake system 🤣

Im really sorry for this, just want to do things correctly 🤣

47 minutes ago, Percha said:

The fact you measure ~36mm at front I would say you have it, order and if really not correct take them back assuming you are going EuroCarParts/CarParts4Less they all do returns.

Ah okay , thank you, how would i know if the part isnt correct ? Would it not match up to the style that are on , or would they not fit cause of size. 

Im thinking of getting both style and return the ones i dont use, otherwise i wont be able to drive if i grt wrong ones 🤣🤣🤣