Forum 5

BMW E61 550i Touring

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125603349814?hash=item1d3e8b0536:g:bvAAAOSw6nFi66sq&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoGnAMOOVqDO6XMpK%2FqoxN75pdWuajeKCCZ%2BbwEs1Cx%2FlcLSFkFJK7riIZZhk%2BhM%2BBQRztwvOuyD5xTRFdmUfCTs%2FdQ7zH0L4yL3Hv8t4Q5bvBzSu1mSUNaxtSmtQfMMO2BvJVNwpEJkwTFmI72jgrjhj8pwZ%2BQBOaPG0IPgnE038xdk%2FdY%2B53UM3HLKumNWDOTEYKs2v2tSnmEpVVzd3gRQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8CQ1Z-cYQ

Is it just me or is the seller off his nod on pills?

He says the bit of smoke on idle is the CCV and 'not too big of a job' when every man and his tired old dog knows it'll be valve stem seals and whatever else you find in there (CCV, valley pan gasket, valley pipe seals etc) so close to four figures to sort, and then he goes on to say that four new shocks, all new discs and pads and all new brake lines around the car can be sorted for '£600-£700'...

Having had brake lines done and knowing how much incumbent work goes into it I seriously doubt you could actually buy the shocks, discs, pads and lines for £600 to £700 let alone get them fixed for that.

I reckon there is a good £2,500 of bills in that car as soon as you get it and perhaps more.

Edit: And the classic 'AC just needs a regas' when E6* cars are known to eat the condensors.

Edited by Sharkfan
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Sharkfan said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125603349814?hash=item1d3e8b0536:g:bvAAAOSw6nFi66sq&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoGnAMOOVqDO6XMpK%2FqoxN75pdWuajeKCCZ%2BbwEs1Cx%2FlcLSFkFJK7riIZZhk%2BhM%2BBQRztwvOuyD5xTRFdmUfCTs%2FdQ7zH0L4yL3Hv8t4Q5bvBzSu1mSUNaxtSmtQfMMO2BvJVNwpEJkwTFmI72jgrjhj8pwZ%2BQBOaPG0IPgnE038xdk%2FdY%2B53UM3HLKumNWDOTEYKs2v2tSnmEpVVzd3gRQ%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR8CQ1Z-cYQ

Is it just me or is the seller off his nod on pills?

He says the bit of smoke on idle is the CCV and 'not too big of a job' when every man and his tired old dog knows it'll be valve stem seals and whatever else you find in there (CCV, valley pan gasket, valley pipe seals etc) so close to four figures to sort, and then he goes on to say that four new shocks, all new discs and pads and all new brake lines around the car can be sorted for '£600-£700'...

Having had brake lines done and knowing how much incumbent work goes into it I seriously doubt you could actually buy the shocks, discs, pads and lines for £600 to £700 let alone get them fixed for that.

I reckon there is a good £2,500 of bills in that car as soon as you get it and perhaps more.

Edit: And the classic 'AC just needs a regas' when E6* cars are known to eat the condensors.

Aye; he's been sniffing the Pritt-stick too much...

It's been up for ages; everyone knows the seals have gone; but they're either in denial, or bullshitting & hoping for a gullible buyer!

It's been mentioned on the PH forums a number of times; sellers deluded

It's on fairly high miles as well as being old enough to need arms / bushings on top of that list. It only seems like yesterday when a similarly worn out E39 would have been £2k at most. I wish I had bought a fleet of them. Hindsight etc.

• 5 weeks later...

The seller must have sobered up for 2023 - my listing had it up at £7,695 and I'm sure it was up around £8,500 but now sobriety has kicked in it's down to £6,295. As it gets closer to c£5k he might hook a buyer.