Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

11 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Android systems are still clunky with poor support, also the touch screen is too far away to be practical, no anti reflective coating etc. 

thanks for this.  Really great device. 

Sorted my Andream head unit, was never the same volume on the right.  So pulled everything out and all ok to the original head unit.  I thought as much as the original head unit always played equal.

So it turned out the little amp unit had a suspect right drive cable.  Connection to the little harness pins couldnt be removed so i just soldered directly to the board.  All good now equal volume left and right.

Also changed the screen washer pump so can clean the windscreen now as well.

• Like 1

Got a knock on the door today to find a guy stood there with 2 packs of ale for me, it's a guy I've never met before, but I did help do some remote coding for him yesterday. Anyway, as you do you get chatting about his car and he mentions his E60 boot only works from the key. You should have seen his face when I pulled my knife out and slit 3 inch of loom tape to reveal a bunch of broken wires, it proper tickled me how he said "how the f**k did you know that" 😂

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed the x2 Hengst bio & carbon activated cabin filters.  Hopefully from tomorrow, I will not smell any nasty smells coming from outside!! 

Those are the only cabin filters correct?  or are there others on the inside too for the A/C? 

Thx.

1 hour ago, Tallman85 said:

Today I installed the x2 Hengst bio & carbon activated cabin filters.  Hopefully from tomorrow, I will not smell any nasty smells coming from outside!! 

Those are the only cabin filters correct?  or are there others on the inside too for the A/C? 

Thx.

They are the only 2 and they do work well along with the auto recirculation feature, I've been using them for 3 years now.

• Thanks 1

Worked on this weapon of a 535d again yesterday, this was a return visit after sorting out mixed up vac lines and a pressure convertor that failed the vac test on the previous visit but he reported an intermittent boost issue so I replaced the other 2 pressure convertors.

Asked him later that day if the boost issue was fixed and no words were sent, just this video... 😂

2008 car, hybrids, bigger FMIC, R90 pump, various emissions parts removed and so on, kicking out over 480bhp...

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 2

On 16/05/2023 at 22:41, Gonzo said:

They are the only 2 and they do work well along with the auto recirculation feature, I've been using them for 3 years now.

they actually do...the air inside is much better quality now.

most of the fumes are omitted. 

Not much....it's booked in to get the DMF and clutch changed (thinking they're original and it's on 137k). Hopefully it'll cure this annoying ticking noise that I'm hunting.
Its also had a much needed clean before popping over to the Collecting Cars coffee morning at Bicester Heritage....it's still a good looking car!
image.thumb.png.07baecd8a648e86b8511283bb39d1c70.png

• Like 1

Follow up to installing the noxem. I had been on holiday a couple of weeks so only just managed to follow the process in Ista to clear the codes and reset the adaptations relating to the aging cat fault. Delighted with the results. Prior to this I was getting about 20mpg out and about and on a long run 28mpg at the very best. This was what I achieved on a run home from Costco yesterday with a full boot of stuff! At this rate the part will have paid for itself within a couple of months. It’ll also stop the wife referring to the car as the gas guzzler. I have to say though I have zero motivation to keep nursing the car along in pursuit of better mpg figures.

IMG_3068.jpeg

Bought some Dr Leather wipes.....seem to have helped the interior a little. It was clean, but the wipes still managed to remove more dirt and also left a nice matt finish to the leather.

As a bonus, you get a nice leather-ish smell inside the car too. Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems my EGR or the EGR pressure convertor are playing up now too...a quick removal of the vacuum line confirms that driving is so much smoother and no juddering coming on/off the accelerator cruising at motorway speeds...I've replaced the vacuum lines and EGR already, so I guess it's time for a new pressure convertor.

Is this a reliable way to test them?:

New driver side wiper arm fitted. When washing the car on Saturday and lifting the wiper blade, the NS bearing lifted clean off the pin - it was entirely gone/missing. I found a copy part on Amazon for £35 got it delivered today and fitted this afternoon. Will soon see if it stands the test of time! 

I was extremely fortunate as the nuts & arms came off easily from the spindle - no penetrating fluid, arm puller or force needed! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much me, but ProTech Cars (Aylesbury) replaced the dual mass flywheel, clutch and front crank pulley / harmonic balancer for me....

It was possible that this was the original kit, which at 138k miles was a pretty good lifetime!
On inspection, the flywheel had more than usual rotational play (30mm'ish vs the 22mm spec) and also some lateral play. The clutch had about 1mm of material left. The front crank pulley had just started to crack.

Sadly it hasn't resolved my ticking noise (which I think is a worn injector), but has made the driving experience much better and also quieter.....which means I can hear my knackered air conditioning compressor even more now!

3 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

Not so much me, but ProTech Cars (Aylesbury) replaced the dual mass flywheel, clutch and front crank pulley / harmonic balancer for me....

It was possible that this was the original kit, which at 138k miles was a pretty good lifetime!
On inspection, the flywheel had more than usual rotational play (30mm'ish vs the 22mm spec) and also some lateral play. The clutch had about 1mm of material left. The front crank pulley had just started to crack.

Sadly it hasn't resolved my ticking noise (which I think is a worn injector), but has made the driving experience much better and also quieter.....which means I can hear my knackered air conditioning compressor even more now!

How much does it cost you for labour and how much was clutch kit?

• 3 weeks later...

Today I replaced the engine oil service cover as it was bent like a banana.  I also bought the retaining clips, the quick-release screws, and also the plastic washers.  Everything OEM of course 😇

IMG-7304.thumb.JPG.ad7921a6c9d296b2b10b4d3444a00183.JPG

20 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Today I replaced the engine oil service cover as it was bent like a banana.  I also bought the retaining clips, the quick-release screws, and also the plastic washers.  Everything OEM of course 😇

IMG-7304.thumb.JPG.ad7921a6c9d296b2b10b4d3444a00183.JPG

Interesting!

I thought the plastic washers were NLA! I'm missing one off my engine undertray.

A small advance forward....

Fixed the annoying rattle coming from the steering cowl cover. Ok not that noisy but I must as I quieten everything else, I start to hear more noises. Promise I'm not as crazy as I sound!

Disassembled, cleaned and quietened (more!) the climate control panel fan:

image.png.d0073e3586df34f14c1ab9a43357ddd0.png

Edited by olliecampbell

• 2 weeks later...