Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

Fitted the noxem emulator from bimmerprofs this evening. Not too bad to get to the nox sensor but and it is a right bitch to remove when working on the driveway. You really require some real force to crack it loose. Anyway it’s done now so hopefully I will see some improvement in mpg now.

• Like 2

Replaced the front arms - both rear & front. I was starting to get some play in 1 and figured best to replace all 4 and they'll all soon start to go. I was looking at doing shocks & springs too, but seems to be very little availability around at all on parts, so will delay that until the summer. They still work ok, but are probably past their best. 

Now need to get 4 wheel alignment done to make sure all is still in order.

3 minutes ago, olliecampbell said:

I've never seen that done before. Are they going to heat up up and bend it back into shape?

Basically the part you see hopping is actually dented downwards…so yes they need to heat it up and repair it.  If you dont heat it up it will crack.  Surprisingly that dent did not crack the wheel. I bought the car like that basically…i did not create it but it must have been a nasty pothole.

• Thanks 1

Audison prima AP 4" speakers installed on front doors. Quite impressive difference compared to base audio speakers. A lot clearer sound. Next to do rear roof speakers and maybe to consider running all speakers through aftermarket amplifier. Already had tweeters installed at front and subwoofer in boot, so really needed speaker upgrade. 

And while dropping missus to hospital, instead of paying for hospital carpark decided to leave car in nearby garage for air-conditioning system regassing. So saved on carpark and have ice cold air conditioning now. Only problem is, there has to be tiny leak somewhere, because last year it was filled and after 12 months system was empty. Both times - now and last year passed vacuum test etc and it was blowing cold all summer long, so might try to look with UV light where dye is coming out and maybe add some air conditioning sealant or whatever they use for small leaks. 

Anyone have any experience to share with those air-conditioning system stop leak additives?

IMG_20230426_184529.jpg

IMG_20230427_175230.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Audison prima AP 4" speakers installed on front doors. Quite impressive difference compared to base audio speakers. A lot clearer sound. Next to do rear roof speakers and maybe to consider running all speakers through aftermarket amplifier. Already had tweeters installed at front and subwoofer in boot, so really needed speaker upgrade. 

And while dropping missus to hospital, instead of paying for hospital carpark decided to leave car in nearby garage for air-conditioning system regassing. So saved on carpark and have ice cold air conditioning now. Only problem is, there has to be tiny leak somewhere, because last year it was filled and after 12 months system was empty. Both times - now and last year passed vacuum test etc and it was blowing cold all summer long, so might try to look with UV light where dye is coming out and maybe add some air conditioning sealant or whatever they use for small leaks. 

Anyone have any experience to share with those air-conditioning system stop leak additives?

Very nice. What is the base stereo you've got? Considering some small upgrades like this in the future.

I believe the condensers are known to corrode/leak in the E60/E61's...not tried a leak stop additive though I'm afraid. I'm presuming it's not the same as for radiators, cracking an egg in there :D

2 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

Very nice. What is the base stereo you've got? Considering some small upgrades like this in the future.

I believe the condensers are known to corrode/leak in the E60/E61's...not tried a leak stop additive though I'm afraid. I'm presuming it's not the same as for radiators, cracking an egg in there 😄

Base audio is just 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers under seat. No tweeters originally, no amplifier. Quite rubbish system overall, in US they never had it. It's European thing I believe. But after those upgrades not too bad any more. 

About air-conditioning system leak stop it's definitely something different, not usual radiator stuff. Need to give couple weeks from now and then check with UV light. Hopefully it's not a dashboard out job or replacement compressor. Ideally some seal is leaking. At least I can hope so.

2 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Base audio is just 4 speakers and 2 subwoofers under seat. No tweeters originally, no amplifier. Quite rubbish system overall, in US they never had it. It's European thing I believe. But after those upgrades not too bad any more. 

About air-conditioning system leak stop it's definitely something different, not usual radiator stuff. Need to give couple weeks from now and then check with UV light. Hopefully it's not a dashboard out job or replacement compressor. Ideally some seal is leaking. At least I can hope so.

I have both of these issues.....the base sound system MASK-II and a noisy failing AC compressor :D Damn cars.

• Haha 1

On 27/04/2023 at 20:33, Ray112 said:

Any competant garage would know that an existing leak would need nitrogen pressure testing rather than just refilling again and sending you. Leak stop can work but needs putting in during the refill.

Edited by Gonzo

9 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Any competant garage would know that an existing leak would need nitrogen pressure testing rather than just refilling again and sending you. Leak stop can work but needs putting in during the refill.

Not sure what tests exactly, but they did some testing before refill and all seemed fine.  So far it's still cold. 

4 wheel tracking done today. Mainly due to replacing the 4 front arms last week. Overall nothing was far out and only tweaks needed across the front & rear axel to bring them back to straight ahead. 

Pretty surprising considering the state of the roads currently!

Today I installed the dashcam, very OEM-looking and easy to fix.  Comes with a Rain sensor adaptor - hassle-free 🙂 

@Gonzo - does the car wake up when there is a vibration or someone hits it? or do you need to open a door or something to power up?   

Edited by Tallman85

18 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

i guess this would be better than an android right? 

Android systems are still clunky with poor support, also the touch screen is too far away to be practical, no anti reflective coating etc. 

• Like 1