Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

Today the battery tray that i ordered from ebay arrived.  Well the advertised item was this and they specifically told me I will get what’s in the pictures! 

313DF584-573C-403E-968B-4FE8CF00E290.jpeg.46c5db8073bbae5f905d86bb1de9d99a.jpeg

However the item received was this 😡:

FD0A8105-C99D-46D9-8BE5-908F2CDC420B.thumb.jpeg.82aff9358a4907463f836d3810173c67.jpegB7BE0925-CF4B-4A56-9905-56A766D9EFAC.thumb.jpeg.6f656edf242339efc2505fd0f55d36ea.jpeg

Unbelievable the scammers on Ebay - avoid the seller like the plague guys! I will now try to recover the money but ebay made it complicated to do so! The irony is the sellers name:  trust_shop_fr … well really to be trusted. Half a part and non useable…what a waste of money and time.

Edited by Tallman85

17 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Unbelievable the scammers on Ebay - avoid the seller like the plague guys! I will now try to recover the money but ebay made it complicated to do so! The irony is the sellers name:  trust_shop_fr … well really to be trusted. Half a part and non useable…what a waste of money and time.

It looks like a horse tried to eat it!

I have used Global Parts on eBay, and they have always sorted out any issues when they occur. They have this tray for sale.

• Thanks 1

So the total cost is €36 - the seller offered €10 back; like it is going to solve anything.  This is just good to be thrown in the bin...but he does not want to understand it. 

Thanks for the link - it looks like a nice tray in good condition. 

Edited by Tallman85

On 16/03/2023 at 13:12, Changy said:

It looks like a horse tried to eat it!

I have used Global Parts on eBay, and they have always sorted out any issues when they occur. They have this tray for sale.

Second Global Parts, even for the odd part (not many) that have turned up broken/failed they are prompt to resolve the issue.

On 16/03/2023 at 15:51, Tallman85 said:

So the total cost is €36 - the seller offered €10 back; like it is going to solve anything.  This is just good to be thrown in the bin...but he does not want to understand it. 

Thanks for the link - it looks like a nice tray in good condition. 

Keep on at eBay. I had this with some electrical items and they just refunded the full amount without a need for return.

Today I gave ma beauty a gentle pat and a few reassuring words.

Reason being that I was taken for a spin in a x3M Competition! Oh jeebus that is a machine!

The power for the shape and weight is (to me anyway) unbelievable. The gods had it to give us a clear road behind and to the front which meant from standstill he floored it and my god it took off. So smooth and from passenger seat quite a shock for me, expected speed just not that much!

has anyone here had the experience or even fortunate enough to have driven one?

19 hours ago, AlTr said:

Today I gave ma beauty a gentle pat and a few reassuring words.

Reason being that I was taken for a spin in a x3M Competition! Oh jeebus that is a machine!

The power for the shape and weight is (to me anyway) unbelievable. The gods had it to give us a clear road behind and to the front which meant from standstill he floored it and my god it took off. So smooth and from passenger seat quite a shock for me, expected speed just not that much!

has anyone here had the experience or even fortunate enough to have driven one?

Is that the one with the S65 (twin turbo v8) in it?

EDIT: Found the answer myself....straight six twin turbo B58:

image.png.3ca5f930b6309b38ce621e66583607c7.png

Edited by olliecampbell

Hiya Peeps

I am moving from my 255k mile (no timing chain change) 520D E61 to my 120k mile 520D SE for my work vehicle.
Best car I have ever had.

F11 - no spare wheel, not very strong air bags and worried about key security - I had given up on finding a good E61 then after looking at couple of F11s this came up. 

1. Moved the swivelling towbar from old to new. Bolting and bumper were easy getting wires out of main loom in back took more time.  Moved it with towbar out incase I cannot get automation working.  I have yet to move the loom across and break into fuse board and canbus.  It sounds like I need to get someone to code it in

2. Installed wire to boot handle reversing camera.  Android head unit coming soon.
Goes at back of glove box and then down. Goes up door pillar on passenger side. Tucks into head lining door seals.

Comes out at rear.  I copied my old one. Trick is to take passenger side rear light out to help thread cable through.
Cable tied cable to hinge.  

I am having windows tinted Tuesday and I am going to paint the chrome window trim. Have acid etch primer and some black trim paint ready. Powder coating quote was too high.

I have some 18 inch MV2 wheels in gunmetal lined up.  Car is Neptune Blue.

Need to do the soldering job on the aux to get better sound.

50 minutes ago, LF-E61 52OD said:

Hiya Peeps

I am moving from my 255k mile (no timing chain change) 520D E61 to my 120k mile 520D SE for my work vehicle.

F11 - no spare wheel, not very strong air bags and worried about key security - I had given up on finding a good E61 then after looking at couple of F11s this came up. 

1. Moved the swivelling towbar from old to new. Bolting and bumper were easy getting wires out of main loom in back took more time.  Moved it with towbar out incase I cannot get automation working.  I have yet to move the loom across and break into fuse board and canbus.  It sounds like I need to get someone to code it in

2. Installed wire to boot handle reversing camera.  Android head unit coming soon.
Goes at back of glove box and then down. Goes up door pillar on passenger side. Tucks into head lining door seals.

Comes out at rear.  I copied my old one. Trick is to take passenger side rear light out to help thread cable through.

I am having windows tinted Tuesday and I am going to paint the chrome window trim. Have acid etch primer and some black trim paint ready. Powder coating quote was too high.

You don't need to do anything to the aux as the android unit replaces it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gonzo said:

You don't need to do anything to the aux as the android unit replaces it.

Thankyou (professor) Gonzo - I have not got my unit yet so not sure of wiring set up as they require Aux capable.

I had a brown trouser moment getting towbar loom out ready to move across.  

Alarm went off, key not working. WTF have I done.  Turns out battery was flat 7Volts - I should have disconnected anyway!

I had original 14 year old battery in garage and popped that on - pheeewww. she started and ran. 

On 26/03/2023 at 17:23, LF-E61 52OD said:

Hiya Peeps

What year and engine was your 520d with 255k miles? 

On 27/03/2023 at 09:54, LF-E61 52OD said:

Thankyou (professor) Gonzo - I have not got my unit yet so not sure of wiring set up as they require Aux capable.

I had a brown trouser moment getting towbar loom out ready to move across.  

Alarm went off, key not working. WTF have I done.  Turns out battery was flat 7Volts - I should have disconnected anyway!

I had original 14 year old battery in garage and popped that on - pheeewww. she started and ran. 

There is no additional wiring as the aux pins are in the headunit multiplug that the android unit adapter fits into.

• Like 1

Had windows tinted in rear in 5% limo tint.  Not quite ready to share a picky yet as  I have new gunmetal grey MPV2s to put on.

I did a dechrome on SE window trim. Had wanted to do it on old one but never got round to it,
I did not want sports suspension for work horse so did not buy msport.

Any way quoted £150 for powder coating trim and a delay in fitting them in so thought I would have a go painting.  Pleased with result.

Learned :  Started afternoon and had them painted by 8PM and curing. Fitting an hour or so today

Take pickies of rubber trim before you start corners and ends etc.

I had my old one at side to look at.

a) need etch primer.  Scotch brite, IPA wiped then primed. Heat gun to speed up drying. Then top coated in black. Left to dry overnight. Fitted next morning.  I used Autotek matte black bumper and trim paint as it matched roof rail nicely and it has worked well on other stuff in past.

b)getting trim off - top of doors - pull down the rubber that goes to the inside of the top of the windows as well all the top rubber. Use thin timber piece with hammer to knock off the trim - got from you tube - works.    

c) gave window pieces of trim a good clean next morning on rubber before refitting. Did not mask the rubber part with direction I was spraying.  

Plastic trim tools, trim removal pliers 

Followed this youtube link below  for getting trim off. 

Useful for general idea 

Edited by LF-E61 52OD
grammar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1CRN978/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fitted £6 wiper mechanisms as they fail. Took a punt on this one - it is absolutely fine, they must be getting rid of them or something.  New part looked spitting image of one coming off.
Worth putting one in stock, no need to do the bearing pulling stuff, just change the lot.
Done in minutes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LF-E61 52OD said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B1CRN978/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

fitted £6 wiper mechanisms as they fail. Took a punt on this one - it is absolutely fine, they must be getting rid of them or something.  New part looked spitting image of one coming off.
Worth putting one in stock, no need to do the bearing pulling stuff, just change the lot.
Done in minutes.

Thanks for sharing mate, was thinking for some time already to replace mine, but for this price you don't have to think, you must do it. Really appreciate link. 

1 hour ago, 4aceman said:

I got so confused - saw the top as before and bottom as after 🤔

Why did he make it uglier..?

Nice job mate, MV2s are some nice wheels

Yes in my opinion the MV2 are the nicest after the m5 wheels, but they do buckle and bend unfortunately…like mine ☹️

20 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Yes in my opinion the MV2 are the nicest after the m5 wheels, but they do buckle and bend unfortunately…like mine ☹️

I think 172m spiders are number one especially in staggered form then M5's.

3 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Nice, what a transformation mate - looking great.

You also have that Fiat Multipla? That is a fantastic city car seating 6 people 🙂 

Fiat Multipla is a marmite car but once you have taken a step inside and work out how clever 3 at the front and 3 behind on adult seats with great cornering and diesel mapable to 155 BHP from 115.
Our best was 3 peeps in front, 6 mountain bikes in back and off the towball and 5 kayaks on the roof rack

Engines are bomb proof but rest is no where near the beemer.

12 hours ago, Mo_1986 said:

I think 172m spiders are number one especially in staggered form then M5's.

I like them too, but I think they look a bit sharp with the car, especially from certain angles. The M5 and MV2s have very nice curvatures that blend with the car...but that is just my opinion.  I mean if BMW released, they must look good 🙂 

A pity that they did not do the M5 wheels in 18 inches...as my MV2s have buckles and dents in them...