Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

2 hours ago, Gonzo said:

No room for a torch in mine as the CIC uses that hole for the USB plug...

Nah, no intention of racing the car, this is a comfort mod if anything mate.

Many years ago the original owner of my mates car fitted this, it then got imported from Japan and as he's selling it, well I wanted it, so I took it off his hands 🙂

Nice upgrade - i like it.

18 hours ago, oldjohnny said:

Just like Tallmans post on Monday, I fitted a new Exide Premium Carbon Boost battery, whatever all that means.  I went down the road of connecting the underbonnet terminals to another good battery before disconnecting the old one to keep everything going as normal.  When I eventually find someone to check for registration I will do so.  It was a bit of a struggle removing the old one due to all the wiring, but I covered the connectors after disconnecting and taped them up out of the way. I'm the wrong side of 70 now and I certainly felt it when lifting one out then one in.  There's hardly any turnover now, almost instant ignition.  The almost 20 year old late 2003 530d lives on for another while.

Another thing that's on my to-do list!

You should post where you live, someone here might be able to pop over to help you with the registration.

5 minutes ago, olliecampbell said:

You should post where you live, someone here might be able to pop over to help you with the registration.

He cannot register the battery because there is no intelligent battery sensor. It will need to charge via the alternator only. 

Sorry,  i have to apologise.  When I said there is no ibs I meant that it is there ok but defunct as per fault finder.  It came up six years ago when I bought the car but never bothered changing it.

I want to get the data checked to see if the battery I have fitted is the same as that registered in the memory, but I don't think I will fit another ibs at this stage.    I'm in the east Belfast region if anyone has the equiptment to check or knows of anyone who has.   Incidentally, I may well be imagining things but the steering feels different now as in lighter.

• Like 1

I managed to get a bunch of parts I accumulated in January fitted yesterday. 

Engine mounts (OEM $$$), coz the Germans let me down and sent me some crap alternatives I didn't order, or wanted. The waterpump, thermostat and housing, plus a new Aux belt tensioner and idler. 

The better part of another 400 in parts lol. Seems like I'm spending that on her every other month since purchase. 

Overall coming together bit by bit. 

I'm a bit dissapointed to see oil weeping out of what looks like boost pipes (despite changing all 4 seals/orings only a few months ago). Possibly the turbo inlet pipe oring is weeping too (not sure where else the front OS side of the N47 sump would collect oil from). On the positive side, the oil filter gasket is holding the flood gates still.

Car is idling and changing gear much smoother now. There is still a drivetrain vibration in gear when on the brakes but it's less now. It seems 3 changes of parts have contributed to bringing the vibrations down, with a step each time. I'm quietly confident one more change will eliminate the vibration all together. 

Ohh and I finally grew the balls to WOT this car as a test, only 9 months after purchase lmao! That's how little confidence I had in the car's condition. 

@Gonzo - what advantage does the (steering?) damper give you? 

Edited by Humour

Today we drove it to Etna Mountain Sicily ….car is struggling on the bumpy roads…but the worse thing is that my car is drifting alike on the autostrada…scary how the steering wheels is pulling to the left and to the right at high speeds.  Just did wheel alignment last week and all bushes are fine.  What can cause this?  Is it normal?  Do get this because of bad roads or something is wrong with the car??

Any help pls? 

41B1CD30-E17D-410A-A9A2-52DCC2F1C79A.thumb.jpeg.f76df4dc9709fb452e6a81878e111640.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Uneven road surface, mainly tracks from HGV's in tarmac, uneven tyre wear, worn track rod ends, steering knuckles, steering rack. But mostly it's down to wide tyres and uneven tarmac. Tyre pressure might be worth checking.

Thx for the feedback. Well i am :

1. Running standard tire size 245/40 18.  Front tires are winter and low on thread but even and no damage.

2. Tire pressure is spot on

3. wheel alignment spot on

I need to check the rest. Rods, knuckles and rack.  How should i do it?

Its like some is pulling the steering away from you hands. 

thx.

30 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

I need to check the rest. Rods, knuckles and rack.  How should i do it?

Jack up the front wheels then grab the wheel at three and nine on a clock face. Try to move the wheel to check for play. Don't pull so hard that the wheels turn, try and check for any play. Also, do the same at Six and Twelve. 

It could be a dodgy track rod end, but you had the alignment done and any competent person adjusting the alignment should notice any excessive play. 

On 18/02/2023 at 23:03, Changy said:

Jack up the front wheels then grab the wheel at three and nine on a clock face. Try to move the wheel to check for play. Don't pull so hard that the wheels turn, try and check for any play. Also, do the same at Six and Twelve. 

It could be a dodgy track rod end, but you had the alignment done and any competent person adjusting the alignment should notice any excessive play. 

thanks, Changy - a job for the weekend.  I will check them out....and report back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Yesterday I bought the rubber grommet for the air pressure sensor as it perished away…my sensor was loose.  I am not sure it will fix anything but because i saw it I had to fix it.

B2322547-7F2C-4B5A-992F-3D53D73C78EB.thumb.jpeg.ca28cf630eaaedcbc351eb72c5474120.jpeg

Interesting. I always thought my MAP sensor had a bit too much wiggle. Report back!

thanks, Changy - a job for the weekend.  I will check them out....and report back. 

You can also turn the steering to full lock and check again on both sides. 

Do you get any wheel noise? I wonder if a bearing is dying?

8 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

Interesting. I always thought my MAP sensor had a bit too much wiggle. Report back!

Well my rubber grommet looked more like a snake…as it sort of split in a spiral pattern.  Well i am not sure i am imagining things but since the new grommet and sensor cleaning, the cars seems to accelerate faster and has more pull.  Not sure what the explanation of that would be. 

On 24/02/2023 at 10:58, Changy said:

You can also turn the steering to full lock and check again on both sides. 

Do you get any wheel noise? I wonder if a bearing is dying?

So today I jacked and checked the front wheels:

1. No movement or noises when pulling north/south.

2. No movement or play when pulling east/west.

What I noticed is that when I play with the steering wheel, like very fast short left and right moves, I can hear a very faint/low noise/knock..but I think that is normal right?  I could not tell that something is wrong so now I am believing that the steering pulls are either the bad roads or maybe the tires require replacement.

What do you think? 

5 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

So today I jacked and checked the front wheels:

1. No movement or noises when pulling north/south.

2. No movement or play when pulling east/west.

What I noticed is that when I play with the steering wheel, like very fast short left and right moves, I can hear a very faint/low noise/knock..but I think that is normal right?  I could not tell that something is wrong so now I am believing that the steering pulls are either the bad roads or maybe the tires require replacement.

What do you think? 

You will hear some noise at full lock, or when you quickly change direction, but it shouldn't be severe.

Have you had a full four-wheel alignment? 

14 minutes ago, Changy said:

You will hear some noise at full lock, or when you quickly change direction, but it shouldn't be severe.

Have you had a full four-wheel alignment? 

Yes all 4 wheels aligned but the front wheels were spot on anyways.  In fact the tire wear is perfect on the front wheels.  

The rear right needed slightly and the rear left needed 2-3 degrees correction!!! it looked bad from day one to be honest. 

Edited by Tallman85

Yes all 4 wheels aligned but the front wheels were spot on anyways.  In fact the tire wear is perfect on the front wheels.  

The rear right needed slightly and the rear left needed 2-3 degrees correction!!! it looked bad from day one to be honest. 

Most likely just bad roads. If tyres would be worn uneven, you would feel pulling all time, not just suddenly. 

1 hour ago, Tallman85 said:

Thats what i am thinking @Ray112 …must be the buckled roads….on new roads it didn’t do it.

That's it then. Got the answer.  I know my 245/40R18 tyres doesn't do it that badly in UK, but when I'm on holidays overseas, some roads where you can clearly see two buckles on each lane,  steering and whole car is pulling sideways quite a bit, especially when braking. 

Mot later this week so got the pads and discs swapped on the front this morning as the discs were clearly warped. Done all the other checks but it seems the damn drivers door lock actuator is playing up. If the weather is fair tomorrow then I will hopefully give it a good clean out. Would be nice for it to look presentable for a change for mot. The car used to sparkle all year round but my two year old daughter really likes to make a mess of the back these days and I just think what’s the point in even trying to keep it clean.

10 minutes ago, Bmwsmx said:

Mot later this week so got the pads and discs swapped on the front this morning as the discs were clearly warped. Done all the other checks but it seems the damn drivers door lock actuator is playing up. If the weather is fair tomorrow then I will hopefully give it a good clean out. Would be nice for it to look presentable for a change for mot. The car used to sparkle all year round but my two year old daughter really likes to make a mess of the back these days and I just think what’s the point in even trying to keep it clean.

I feel you mate…when i bought mine 3.5 years ago, the interior was brand new.   Mine is cream-beige interior..now my 3 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl messed it up badly…rubber marks everywhere, back of seats, seat belt release…etc

The only piece of advice…now it is a good time to teach her not to step on the plastic M sills 🙂.  They broke mine, I bought them all new and taught them not to step on them to get in or out…and it worked.  My wife did not like it 😂

Edited by Tallman85
  • Haha 1