Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

Spare key and radio coding sorted today, guy at BMPassion sorted everything. Radio requested full software delete and new software rewrite which isn't common on these and not always successful, but it worked well this time. So having clear sound through speakers and again working usb which is great. 

Was looking for someone capable to look into this for good 4 months, but no joy until few days ago. 

Apparently similar post was treated as promoting on one of e60/61 owners Facebook group, so I'm banned there now. What a snowflake word we are living in. Guy just offered help in the same group, I was just thankful for nearly 3 hours he spent on Saturday for me and get things right. Thought it's good to share knowledge with decent places that can get things fixed when you are stuck doing them yourself. Apparently saying what someone else did to your car isn't allowed...

• Sad 1

EGR was mapped out. The car is not with me at the mo ... I will check when  I can

Any hoo

Cleaned rear light on tourer today - they always get gunk and moss growing in them in the crack.

Used tooth brush and compressed air. Found I could pull black piece away to make more space for cleaning.

After photo with black plastic slightly teased away.

image.thumb.png.d856e4fff842028446c8e3d4393094ab.png

Before - loads of gunk in the crevice

image.thumb.png.96460e1804c53ca67b818558aebedc55.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Simple, I don't call this simple, you sent me this earlier 😅

2aaadb61-536b-42ab-af6b-4c76658143d2.jpeg

What a PITA that job was. Today I decided to crack on with a new strut setup. I bought new Bilstein shock absorbers, top mount,  Sachs springs and dust covers and rubber spring caps. I removed the coil spring to reuse the top metal cap, but when I came to build the new strut, my spring compressor failed! I managed to release the clamps but didn't want to try and fix the compressor. 

To be fair, @Gonzo was already dreading a long trip to my place to help me out, but thankfully a mate in the trade put me onto a garage that would rebuild the struts using their caged floor-mounted compressor. 

I now need to remove the passenger-side strut so I can get both done together. 

It didn't get any easier when I started to remove the passenger side strut. The ball joint on the tie-rod end didn't want to let go. I used a penetrating spray and wire-brushed the threads, but it wasn't having any of it. The Torx gave up and rounded off! I then had to cut the bolt off and prepare myself to fight with the other end. I used Deblock and waited for it to work before I applied heat and attempted to unscrew it. Thank goodness I have long spanners and had used copper grease years ago. 

IMG_8422.jpeg

18 hours ago, Changy said:

It didn't get any easier when I started to remove the passenger side strut. The ball joint on the tie-rod end didn't want to let go. I used a penetrating spray and wire-brushed the threads, but it wasn't having any of it. The Torx gave up and rounded off! I then had to cut the bolt off and prepare myself to fight with the other end. I used Deblock and waited for it to work before I applied heat and attempted to unscrew it. Thank goodness I have long spanners and had used copper grease years ago. 

IMG_8422.jpeg

If you didn't have back luck, you wouldn't have any at all!

• Haha 1

On 18/09/2024 at 16:26, Changy said:

IMG_8422.jpeg

This morning saw the new struts built. I had to reuse the top plates, but the rest was new. A big thank you to @Gonzo who sent me a Lemförder track rod end. I have reassembled the driver's front end, but I haven't torqued anything. I will reassemble the passenger side tomorrow. Despite the issues, I've enjoyed the work. 

IMG_8427.jpeg

IMG_8426.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Changy said:

This morning saw the new struts built. I had to reuse the top plates, but the rest was new. A big thank you to @Gonzo who sent me a Lemförder track rod end. I have reassembled the driver's front end, but I haven't torqued anything. I will reassemble the passenger side tomorrow. Despite the issues, I've enjoyed the work. 

Funny as yesterday "HURRY UP AND GIVE ME YOUR ADDY BEFORE THE POSITE KNOCKS"

Walked outside after tagging it onto my collection and he's walking up the neighbours yard 😁