Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

3 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Today:

1) I just put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank...lets hope it will smoothen the idle.

2) I just took it to a garage and did the wheel alignment ... my rear left wheel was 3 degrees out! it looked odd from when i bought it, but i did not realize it was that bad! Now all green and nice! 

3) I have 3 out of 6 glow plugs that are down 😞 i think it hurts the DPF correct? what brand should i go for NGK or Bosch? 

Thx.

I've got 5 out of 6 down :D

I've always read it's best to go with Bosch and to get the WD40 on them as soon as possible before you start so it gets a chance to work....and do it when the engine is hot!

A bad start to the week for me.....CCV changed and an oily vessuvious in the engine bay....

3 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Is it a difficult job to take out the manifold? to change the plugs?  i am tempted to do it myself. 

No, it's straightforward, but have a look at some videos online to prepare yourself for the job. You need the engine hot if possible and use some Plus Gas or similar. Take your time if one is stuck; undo it, then tighten, then undo again to try and ensure the threads are free.

1 minute ago, Changy said:

No, it's straightforward, but have a look at some videos online to prepare yourself for the job. You need the engine hot if possible and use some Plus Gas or similar. Take your time if one is stuck; undo it, then tighten, then undo again to try and ensure the threads are free.

@Gonzo advised me to use a torque wrench set at approx. 30nm. I would ask him to confirm the torque value so you are below the snapping value.

Thank you for the info - Bosch specify 15Nm as Torque.

But engine needs to be cold when the new ones go in right? as otherwise if I tighten when hot, when it cools off, the stresses will increase  and result in more Nm?  or i am too theoretical 🙂  

3 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Bosch specify 15Nm as Torque.

That is tightening torque; I am sure @Gonzosaid the snapping torque is 30nm, but I am sure he will pop in and confirm.

You are being too theoretical with the cold engine comment. If you torque them at 15nm, the temperature will not alter the amount of force. You need a hot engine when removing them  because the head expansion increases the chance of loosening them without a breakage.

1 minute ago, Changy said:

That is tightening torque; I am sure @Gonzosaid the snapping torque is 30nm, but I am sure he will pop in and confirm.

You are being too theoretical with the cold engine comment. If you torque them at 15nm, the temperature will not alter the amount of force. You need a hot engine when removing them  because the head expansion increases the chance of loosening them without a breakage.

Correct - that is tightening torque.

ok now I understand - a torque wrench to remove them…good idea.

Gonzo is ‘semi-retired’ so probably he is somewhere in a middle of a beach in the Bahamas 😂😂

8 hours ago, thomp1983 said:

Picked it up from bodyshop who've had it for a week to refurb the wheels, respray the tailgate as I reversed it into something and repair a small parking graze on the front bumper that the wife did. 

IMG_20230204_130432.thumb.jpg.8994e4b77c14c96d8f4a839ded9ca868.jpg

That is a nice looking e61 mate.  That is the colour I wanted but i was slow to react when there was one for sale…

Can you please share with us the wheels specs? Size / offset ? And tire sizes?

thx

Not sure which wheels they are, they were on my old e60. 

Rear tyres are 275/30/19 offset is 20 and there a 9 inch rim with 20mm spacers

Front tyres are 245/35/19 offset is 18 and there an 8 inch rim with no spacers. 

I may get spacers for the front at some point.as there a bit tucked in compared to the rears. 

2 hours ago, thomp1983 said:

Not sure which wheels they are, they were on my old e60. 

Rear tyres are 275/30/19 offset is 20 and there a 9 inch rim with 20mm spacers

Front tyres are 245/35/19 offset is 18 and there an 8 inch rim with no spacers. 

I may get spacers for the front at some point.as there a bit tucked in compared to the rears. 

Yeah I thought they were 19s .. they fill the arches so nicely. They seem to be similar to spiders.  Thanks for sharing. 

Today i replaced my battery.  It was a cheap unbranded one and the wrong type.  It was causing all kind of electronics errors on start ups…etc.

I now bought a proper Bosch 95Ah AGM and registered it with ISTA too.  So far so good…I actually wanted a Varta but it was out of stock! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Damn, I felt a king yesterday because I installed the factory torch 😂😂 …now i see this…

nice upgrade Gonzo….that comes up as a kit or Gonzo-Custimazation? 

Preparing for Nurburgring mate?

No room for a torch in mine as the CIC uses that hole for the USB plug...

Nah, no intention of racing the car, this is a comfort mod if anything mate.

Many years ago the original owner of my mates car fitted this, it then got imported from Japan and as he's selling it, well I wanted it, so I took it off his hands 🙂

Edited by Gonzo

Just like Tallmans post on Monday, I fitted a new Exide Premium Carbon Boost battery, whatever all that means.  I went down the road of connecting the underbonnet terminals to another good battery before disconnecting the old one to keep everything going as normal.  When I eventually find someone to check for registration I will do so.  It was a bit of a struggle removing the old one due to all the wiring, but I covered the connectors after disconnecting and taped them up out of the way. I'm the wrong side of 70 now and I certainly felt it when lifting one out then one in.  There's hardly any turnover now, almost instant ignition.  The almost 20 year old late 2003 530d lives on for another while.

• Like 1