Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

49 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Guys

how much oil does the 530d takes? I am finding 7.7l, 8l, 8.25 and also 8.5l … to much difference on the internet. 

thanks

Put in 8L. Give it 5 mins and check the dipstick. If it's half way between Min-Max, start the car to circulate Oil through the filter. 

The stop and wait anither 5 mins and check the dipstick again, after which top up as necessary according to the dipstick.

If it was 7. 7L and you start with 8, then you won't need to top up as the filter will consume some of that excess. 

13 minutes ago, Humour said:

Put in 8L. Give it 5 mins and check the dipstick. If it's half way between Min-Max, start the car to circulate Oil through the filter. 

The stop and wait anither 5 mins and check the dipstick again, after which top up as necessary according to the dipstick.

If it was 7. 7L and you start with 8, then you won't need to top up as the filter will consume some of that excess. 

Well today i serviced the car for the first time myself…put in 8l gradually Castrol Edge 5w30 and the dipstick is showing 85-90% full.  I guess that is still enough not to make any damage.

changing the air filter was a pita…need to take out lots of parts to get to it!  Why are cars designed as if they will never get serviced!! 

mahle oil filer came with 3 o rings and and sump plug washer…

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Guys

how much oil does the 530d takes? I am finding 7.7l, 8l, 8.25 and also 8.5l … to much difference on the internet. 

thanks

I start with 7.5

Mahle is the best, only one that comes with all 3, and 535d air filters changed in 1 minute from opening the bonnet 🫣

Edited by Gonzo

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I start with 7.5

Mahle is the best, only one that comes with all 3, and 535d air filters changed in 1 minute from opening the bonnet 🫣

I wanted a 535d…but damn taxes stopped me 😕

Because I had a few ongoing stutters/shudders with the transmission, I put some Dr Tranny Lubeguard into the box. It's made a difference, but I wish accessing the fill port and adding the fluid wasn't like an action scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark. 🤣

I can only think that the product was named many years ago 😝

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Waterpump, tensioner and idler pulley replaced today. All parts removed were still original ones at 187k miles, not bad at all, water pump had some movement and just started to leak.  

IMG_20240518_124500.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Dear All

What is the reason that when I go over 110km/hr- 120km/hr the steering sort of becomes very light and feels very disconnected?  seems like driving on water.

It's best to start a separate thread for an issue. It keeps this one clean, and helps others to find it along with diagnosis and solutions. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dj123 said:

It's best to start a separate thread for an issue. It keeps this one clean, and helps others to find it along with diagnosis and solutions. 

Done.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tallman85 said:

Your doing then 😂

I didn’t expect this from you 😅😅

LOL, no. It was noted as being a tad loose years ago when I had a new windscreen so I pushed the tabs in and it was fine. Still the case now but the metal bracket it sits in isn't bonded (ever) on one side and that was allowing it to resonate against the bloody window. 2 bits of tape poked under and job done.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

LOL, no. It was noted as being a tad loose years ago when I had a new windscreen so I pushed the tabs in and it was fine. Still the case now but the metal bracket it sits in isn't bonded (ever) on one side and that was allowing it to resonate against the bloody window. 2 bits of tape poked under and job done.

Don't make excuses 😆

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Car has driven me mad finding a rattle that sounded like it came from the dash, turned out to be the lane departure camera and my frigging dashcam clip that snap fits to the window mount that's stuck on...

Oh well, only had the dash apart 3 times hunting it before I started tapping on the outside of the windscreen 🤬

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 04/06/2024 at 12:54, Gonzo said:

Car has driven me mad finding a rattle that sounded like it came from the dash, turned out to be the lane departure camera and my frigging tomtom clip that snap fits to the window mount that's stuck on...

Oh well, only had the dash apart 3 times hunting it before I started tapping on the outside of the windscreen 🤬

At least you found the culprit in the end, E for effort. 😁👌

Edited by Humour
  • Haha 1

Absolutely gutted today, car failed the MOT...

Turned up for the MOT and Matt my MOT guy is stood there, said your lucky day, VOSA are here... 😞

Failed on headlights too high, just above the beam setter level, usually he would just adjust them but had to go by the book and failed it, then adjusted it and passed it before it left the ramp...

Oh well, still passed but my first fail with this car 🫣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

Absolutely gutted today, car failed the MOT...

Turned up for the MOT and Matt my MOT guy is stood there, said your lucky day, VOSA are here... 😞

Failed on headlights too high, just above the beam setter level, usually he would just adjust them but had to go by the book and failed it, then adjusted it and passed it before it left the ramp...

Oh well, still passed but my first fail with this car 🫣

Sacrilege! You shouldn't be allowed to own one of these god-like cars.

Someone should come over and take it away from you for embarrassing the forum like that!!!... and issue you with a Trabby, that's one you might be able to keep up the maintenance schedule on 😁

40 minutes ago, Humour said:

Sacrilege! You shouldn't be allowed to own one of these god-like cars.

Someone should come over and take it away from you for embarrassing the forum like that!!!... and issue you with a Trabby, that's one you might be able to keep up the maintenance schedule on 😁

Scrap man gave me £500 kesh for it... Bag of shite...

I get the impression the VOSA guy was determined for it to fail on something due to its age, was even telling Matt to check the rims really well as they all have cracks on these cars, he scoffed at him and said the wheels are 2 years old and the owner wouldn't bring it here with anything that could fail, well nearly lol.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Gonzo said:

I get the impression the VOSA guy was determined for it to fail on something due to its age, was even telling Matt to check the rims really well as they all have cracks on these cars, he scoffed at him and said the wheels are 2 years old and the owner wouldn't bring it here with anything that could fail, well nearly lol.

The honest truth is that for the system, our cars are old and the system is trying everything to get rid of them….few people appreciate the efforts we put in keeping them top notch on the roads.  Lets face it, they dont look 16-20yrs old! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2024 at 17:09, Gonzo said:

I'm surprised VOSA guy didn't said straight away to inspect dpf for being gutted, because that's common on these cars.

But overall seeing so many shit boxes on public roads daily, looks like VOSA are not doing these visits very often. 

13 hours ago, Ray112 said:

I'm surprised VOSA guy didn't said straight away to inspect dpf for being gutted, because that's common on these cars.

But overall seeing so many shit boxes on public roads daily, looks like VOSA are not doing these visits very often. 

Probably due to the clean inner tip on the backbox 😉

• Like 1

On 16/06/2024 at 09:08, Gonzo said:

Probably due to the clean inner tip on the backbox 😉

Smart cookie. I always clean the inside of me pipe end too when sending her in because why give them excuses 👌

I do it in general after a wash too just incase Plod stops me and starts sniffing around for truffles. 😁

Edited by Humour