Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

On 25/02/2024 at 15:44, Gonzo said:

Nope, I was cutting off the rock hard rubber hose connecting the vac pump to the plastic pipe and slipped, new blade, saw bone lol

Ouch, indeed. 

That's one half cut Mars bar right there. You can kiss that nail good bye. 

Keep it clean and it will sort itself in a few months but it sure won't be pretty. I'd recommend food grade oxygen peroxide 3% concentration. Just pour over it several times over the next few days to keep it disinfected. 

14 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Today came to a stop as I had to order this for the shitheap... https://www.lasertools.co.uk/Product/5225/Sump-Plug-Thread-Repair-Kit-M13-x-1.5

Handy to have it in spares. I bought a set good 10 years ago after some garage did oil change and clearly overtightened sump plug. Since then I just started to do everything myself. Still must have 5 plugs in that kit. 

So another year gone, another MOT test to do. Expires on 28th March, but I always do it as soon as possible when 30 days are left, in case something is missed and need repair. 

Got it booked in couple days ago for Friday, obviously cleaned prior test inside, outside and engine bay. I do like to present my car clean, in respect to my car and in respect of person inspecting it.

And result is the same as last year, it's a clean sheet again (well this year they don't give them certificates any more, you can't download it online now, actual certificate is only given if it's a fail, so you know what to repair). 

The best part is when you come back hour late, walk inside garage, car is still inside, and mechanic says: "it's spot on, it's been well looked after". Probably the best thing someone can say about car which you repair and maintain yourself. Dirty hands paying off once again. 

Still quite a few things planned to replace this year, but that can wait for warmer weather.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

So another year gone, another MOT test to do. Expires on 28th March, but I always do it as soon as possible when 30 days are left, in case something is missed and need repair. 

Got it booked in couple days ago for Friday, obviously cleaned prior test inside, outside and engine bay. I do like to present my car clean, in respect to my car and in respect of person inspecting it.

And result is the same as last year, it's a clean sheet again (well this year they don't give them certificates any more, you can't download it online now, actual certificate is only given if it's a fail, so you know what to repair). 

The best part is when you come back hour late, walk inside garage, car is still inside, and mechanic says: "it's spot on, it's been well looked after". Probably the best thing someone can say about car which you repair and maintain yourself. Dirty hands paying off once again. 

Still quite a few things planned to replace this year, but that can wait for warmer weather.

Well done.  Yeah hard work always pays off.  In case of @Gonzo however, it’s dirty hands and a damaged Mars finger always does the job 😂

by the way gonzo, how is your finger healing up?

Another fun part will be when that finger nail will start to catch on against anything until it grow out fully. Been there fair few times myself, last time fixing mate's Audi. Should have kept my hands of that thing 🤣

• Haha 1

Car presented and passed MOT again today. no advisories which is great but a surprise given it was tested at the same garage and advised for rear suspension arms last year. I did check them and they seemed fine to me. As per @Ray112 advice it was cleaned inside and out which I think goes a long way.

• Like 1

Fingers doing ok, nails at a different level now so the super glue is coming out soon!

*edit, glued some of that paper surgical tape stuff onto it now, happy days 😅

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 2

Repaired the fucked sump plug today, Laser tools oversized plug and M13 tap, no drilling needed, one less thing to worry about on project shitheap

Yesterday I found the last owner bought adaptive xenon lights not realising it only had xenon from the factory, I was going to give up and tell him to buy xenons but decided to study wiring diagrams, told the car it was made in 09/2005 so I could use an LM1-AHL as it expected the LM1-DYN and separate AHL module (Like @Changy has as I found today)

Anyway, lights now work, I just need to tap the powertrain can for the left right part

Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 2

Never a dull moment with an e61. 
Tonight I went to pick my daughter and I started hearing like metal/ssshhhhhh sssshhhh noise on sleeping police and bumps … first I thought it was the car behind me but then the noise kept following me 😡.  I thought i was going to find the exhaust on the floor but it isn't.  I looked underneath and nothing  seems hanging….i have no idea where to start!

any obvious starting places? 

thanks

3 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Never a dull moment with an e61. 
Tonight I went to pick my daughter and I started hearing like metal/ssshhhhhh sssshhhh noise on sleeping police and bumps … first I thought it was the car behind me but then the noise kept following me 😡.  I thought i was going to find the exhaust on the floor but it isn't.  I looked underneath and nothing  seems hanging….i have no idea where to start!

any obvious starting places? 

thanks

Record it?

1 minute ago, Gonzo said:

Record it?

I will try yes but it is not so loud….

it also does it if i shake the steering wheel left and right while driving…..

11 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

I will try yes but it is not so loud….

I had a dried out ball joints on stabiliser drop links making a squeaky noise. Blamed every single bushing, shock absorbers and top mounts until I found actual cause. It was squeaky only while inside the car, on outside you can barely hear it, sound was triggered by anything, getting in/out of car, moving steering wheel, speed bumps, every smallest suspension movement up/down.  Honestly I was running out of ideas. Then swapped front drop links with another set and noise was gone. Old drop links were absolutely fine, no movement in them, all they needed was more grease inside. No sure if it's anything like this in your case, but thought it's worth sharing my experience.

23 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I had a dried out ball joints on stabiliser drop links making a squeaky noise. Blamed every single bushing, shock absorbers and top mounts until I found actual cause. It was squeaky only while inside the car, on outside you can barely hear it, sound was triggered by anything, getting in/out of car, moving steering wheel, speed bumps, every smallest suspension movement up/down.  Honestly I was running out of ideas. Then swapped front drop links with another set and noise was gone. Old drop links were absolutely fine, no movement in them, all they needed was more grease inside. No sure if it's anything like this in your case, but thought it's worth sharing my experience.

Hi Ray, thx for the heads up.  i tried getting in and out, jumping in the boot, pushing the car from the front…etc…no noises.

i will diagnose more tomorrow….

1 hour ago, Tallman85 said:

Check the dust shields on the front brakes. They can rust around the bolts and then make the kind of noise you are hearing. You can also get some crap stuck in there so it's worth checking them. If it's rusted, get some penny washers to fix them in place. 

3 minutes ago, Changy said:

Check the dust shields on the front brakes. They can rust around the bolts and then make the kind of noise you are hearing. You can also get some crap stuck in there so it's worth checking them. If it's rusted, get some penny washers to fix them in place. 

Thx changy will do.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Thx changy will do.  

So some testing in the garage.

coming from the front and I think either suspension or brakes.  In the garage there is only a 2cm lip…as you can see, you hear some screeching, air leaking sounds….i have no idea.  Video is not the best….more the sound. Do you hear it? 

** POINTS OF INTEREST **

0:02, 0:07, 0:16, 0:28, 0:46, 0:54, 1:05, 1:31

here you can listen to the noises. 

Ignore the two bangs at the end…those are the well-manhole.

the mhaww is not the cat but my 4 yr old son 😂

Edited by Tallman85
Added time of interest

On 01/03/2024 at 20:06, Tallman85 said:

Tonight I went to pick my daughter and I started hearing like metal/ssshhhhhh sssshhhh noise on sleeping police and bumps... 😡

.... it gets worse when I shake the wheel left to right.... 

Any obvious starting places? 

Yeah, put the Ganja and the Spirits down for a couple of days and allow the fog to clear, you might be surprised 😜

5 hours ago, Humour said:

Yeah, put the Ganja and the Spirits down for a couple of days and allow the fog to clear, you might be surprised 😜

well i think i am going to start calling it 'Christine' .... [if you have ever watched the movie].

well i never figured out the source and it disappeared now... 😵‍💫

• Haha 1

On 29/02/2024 at 08:17, Tallman85 said:

My bonnet stabilus arrived today....maybe i will find some time in the next 100 years to put them on 😁

stabilus.thumb.jpg.dcf0191c5fd95906fe880881631b9d7b.jpg

I fitted them…but now the danger reversed! They bonnet is flying up with them when you open it…risking that it smashes your chin 😲 … and it is hard to close it off.  Should it be like this?  I think replacing one would have been enough in reality.

Had a friend come round with his Carly.  He reckoned he could get my eyebrow lights working but no dice in the end.

According to Carly they already "work" and are on but they don't work unless they're on a spectrum not visible to the human eye.

I've tested them and can make them light up if I connect the terminals to a power source but on the car they just don't want to know.  But, meh, I've lived with it for seven years like this so I'm not going to lose sleep over it now.

While he was here he ran a full diagnostic and that was a laugh, found a whole host of issues, most of which were my fault for letting the battery run flat a few months ago.  Cleared all of those but was left with some faults for features I never knew the car had. Like the auxiliary water pump is apparently duff - never knew it had one!

This seems to be something to do with the REST function, which again, I only found out it had a couple of months ago even though I've owned the car over seven years now!  Am I bothered?  Probably not.  Will I fix it?  Probably not.

The only other persistent faults were for a reverse gear thing, which it's always had - no idea what it means or how to fix it, (reverse gear, 0x3B0, DME receiver, LM transmitter) but doesn't seem to interfere with normal running so that can do one, and the rear parcel shelf motors which I disconnected when the battery sensor threw a wobbler a few years ago and caused the car to start doing weird stuff.  I suppose I could reconnect them at some point if I ever felt inclined to pull the interior apart again.

But, for a 20 year old car, not too shabby.

Still haven't had the wheels/tyres done!  The garage has been putting it off because their vapour blast machine hadn't been commissioned yet, but with a bit of luck it's going in a week Monday for wheel refurb and some new boots!

58 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

I fitted them…but now the danger reversed! They bonnet is flying up with them when you open it…risking that it smashes your chin 😲 … and it is hard to close it off.  Should it be like this?  I think replacing one would have been enough in reality.

Mine does lift quite fast but also dampens near the top so I'm happy enough with them.

Keep yer desperate Dan chin out the way...

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Mine does lift quite fast but also dampens near the top so I'm happy enough with them.

Keep yer desperate Dan chin out the way...

😂😂😂😂

Egyptian Pharos would have a problem.   

• Haha 2