Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

47 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Today i checked the DPF regen status...i think all good right? 

Capture.PNG.356e2e035d2abac78301c153862d6304.PNG

Probably you can tell little more from monitoring exhaust backpressure as well, that will tell more about condition of DPF filter. The higher are pressure values the more blocked filter is. At idle perfectly healthy DPF should have around 5mbar pressure. 

4 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Probably you can tell little more from monitoring exhaust backpressure as well, that will tell more about condition of DPF filter. The higher are pressure values the more blocked filter is. At idle perfectly healthy DPF should have around 5mbar pressure. 

yes i do that test from time to time but  today the car was cold, so i did not do it. 

Today i finally got time to wash the car, polish the roof and bonnet, and i applied the autoglym rapid ceramic coating (experiment).  Should last 3 months. 

every time I wash it, i love it a bit less…always finding dings and dents!! Why so many uncivilised people on the street!! 🤬

still okish for 16 yrs old.  Davide Arcangelli did a good job - may he rest in peace.

IMG_8717.thumb.jpeg.33c25c13920b61859fd5290313d40e6d.jpegIMG_8716.thumb.jpeg.df70818613103793170a8db1aa8d8f93.jpegIMG_8720.thumb.jpeg.f49ba667e788ca015f73126c153a6a66.jpegIMG_8719.thumb.jpeg.bf3553c024390ddee8e69d0e58e63120.jpeg

• Like 2

That's why, when I don't have kids with me and not using family space,  I just park in far side of shop carparks, at least most of time no one parks next to me. Park it close to entrance and there's always someone trying to get out of their poorly parked car. People these days have no respect against someone else's property. I know these are ~16 year old cars, but we still want them to look good, and no one should ding side with their door regardless of car age. 

Edited by Ray112
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

That's why, when I don't have kids with me and not using family space,  I just park in far side of shop carparks, at least most of time no one parks next to me. Park it close to entrance and there's always someone trying to get out of their poorly parked car. People these days have no respect against someone else's property. I know these are ~16 year old cars, but we still want them to look good, and no one should ding side with their door regardless of car age. 

Yes, believe me that I really choose the parking spot really well, but sometimes parking a 5m car, it is not always possible to find the ones you like.  I try my best.  Today  there are so many rental cars and leased cars around that they don’t give a damn!  But unbelievable the amount of door marks….makes me want to sell it and buy a car that I would not ruin my day every time I see a new mark! 

Edited by Tallman85
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Yes, believe me that I really choose the parking spot really well, but sometimes parking a 5m car, it is not always possible to find the ones you like.  I try my best.  Today  there are so many rental cars and leased cars around that they don’t give a damn!  But unbelievable the amount of door marks….makes me want to sell it and buy a car that I would ruin my day every time I see a new mark! 

I know exactly what you mean. And having no trims around doors don't help either. They look good being all smooth, but they are a lot less protected from other cars at the same time. Previous shape 5 series - E39 has trims all round and it's taking most of impact from other car doors. Not the case with E60/E61 though.

11 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

I know exactly what you mean. And having no trims around doors don't help either. They look good being all smooth, but they are a lot less protected from other cars at the same time. Previous shape 5 series - E39 has trims all round and it's taking most of impact from other car doors. Not the case with E60/E61 though.

Yes Ray, I totally agree.  One of these Volvo C304 will help us live a better life!! 

IMG_8722.jpeg.b405a66a0616dd597e95ea315ca01100.jpeg

• Haha 2

The car looks great for its age. 

As Ray mentioned, the seamless design of the sides (a big part of the etractivness of this model to me at least) makes it vulnerable, but it's not an excuse, ppl don't give a Shag u less it's their property being damaged and then they do, just shows how selfish scosiety is as a whole nowadays. 

If it makes you feel better, I will go outside and take a picture of every panel of my e60 to show you what Swiss cheese my car is regarding bodywork (acquired like that, not of my doing). I don't think there is 1 untouched panel. 

Something to consider, if you are prepared to travel and work away for a few weeks, you can go to Eastern Europe and have your car fully resprayed for currently 1K GBP. That is cheap for the amount of work involved and if brave enough you can change the colour as well. I can recommend a guy in Burgas BG. 😉

I may eventually go that route myself as I'm planning to get my car healthy enough in time to be able to traverse anywhere in Europe and back to the UK. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Humour said:

The car looks great for its age. 

As Ray mentioned, the seamless design of the sides (a big part of the etractivness of this model to me at least) makes it vulnerable, but it's not an excuse, ppl don't give a Shag u less it's their property being damaged and then they do, just shows how selfish scosiety is as a whole nowadays. 

If it makes you feel better, I will go outside and take a picture of every panel of my e60 to show you what Swiss cheese my car is regarding bodywork (acquired like that, not of my doing). I don't think there is 1 untouched panel. 

Something to consider, if you are prepared to travel and work away for a few weeks, you can go to Eastern Europe and have your car fully resprayed for currently 1K GBP. That is cheap for the amount of work involved and if brave enough you can change the colour as well. I can recommend a guy in Burgas BG. 😉

I may eventually go that route myself as I'm planning to get my car healthy enough in time to be able to traverse anywhere in Europe and back to the UK. 

Well, my ocd drives me the other way 🙂 i try to keep as much original paint as possible on my car…i have always been like that with every car i owned.  Sometimes you have no choice but to spray but in the past on other cars instead of spraying I would hunt for secondhand parts with factory paint 🤓 (well maybe i am the misfit here 🙂 ) 

Changed my brake fluid today but did it on diagnostics just in case any air had clumped into decent enough bubbles, and a few did come out, pedal was fine before and feels the same so happy days. Then cleaned inside for the first time in I guess 6 months. I feel ashamed. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Changed my brake fluid today but did it on diagnostics just in case any air had clumped into decent enough bubbles, and a few did come out, pedal was fine before and feels the same so happy days. Then cleaned inside for the first time in I guess 6 months. I feel ashamed. 

I Guess it was a cleaning sunday for many 🤨

Edited by Tallman85

Yup, washed outside, when finished it was already dark outside, so no pictures taken, but it was shining again. Obviously stone chips all over front edge of bonnet and bumper, so they most likely will get resprayed in summer. 

Today i increased the idle rpm by +10 to eliminate some of the rattles and vibrations…improved but the damn exhaust is still annoying me at idle.  All the rubbers and shields are ok.  I’m suspicious that the engine mounts are the problem….any ideas? 

Edited by Tallman85

On 17/02/2024 at 13:15, Ray112 said:

Well, I am not way near the 5mbar, but still within the limits.

My DPF reading below;

Opinions? 

DPF.PNG.5faebd830789e5a0b5e275c9769394b4.PNG

10 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Ouch’s 🥺

Did your wife do it because you’re spending too much on the E61?

Get well soon ❤️‍🩹

Nope, I was cutting off the rock hard rubber hose connecting the vac pump to the plastic pipe and slipped, new blade, saw bone lol

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Well, I am not way near the 5mbar, but still within the limits.

My DPF reading below;

Opinions? 

DPF.PNG.5faebd830789e5a0b5e275c9769394b4.PNG

It's not new, but still within all specifications, so just every then and now check engine temperature, just to be sure thermostat is working as should and DPF will last. Biggest killer of them is engine not getting up to temperature ( E60 is phenomenal for this due to no temperature gauge in instrument cluster) and people just keep driving until it's fully clogged.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray112 said:

It's not new, but still within all specifications, so just every then and now check engine temperature, just to be sure thermostat is working as should and DPF will last. Biggest killer of them is engine not getting up to temperature ( E60 is phenomenal for this due to no temperature gauge in instrument cluster) and people just keep driving until it's fully clogged.

Thanks.  Yes, I do monitor, and yes that mpg gauge is really non-sense.  If people bought new 530d, 535d..I don't think they were too concerned about fuel consumption.

As regards the DPF, every 6 months I throw in a bottle of these to keep it at least like it is.

Screenshot2024-02-26075134.png.097532cd258eb2556421e381e36f7165.png