Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

1 hour ago, Tallman85 said:

No shit! 😞 

well that means i have to live with mine 🤬

I could pin you up a cable, you would have to fit the plug for the board yourself by crimping it but that isn't hard and then depin the main plug to swap it over, most people just fix the damage where it is as the cable has extra so you can cut and join it with some heatshrink and solder

48 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

I could pin you up a cable, you would have to fit the plug for the board yourself by crimping it but that isn't hard and then depin the main plug to swap it over, most people just fix the damage where it is as the cable has extra so you can cut and join it with some heatshrink and solder

Yes that what i was thinking…fixing the broken one only to be honest…

A few bits that have been hanging around for ages…and added more to the list!

Replaced the rear strut bar mount (reinforcement body support bracket I think it’s officially called) as the last one was threaded-timesert’d and cracked!

Replaced the glow plug controller…which made things worse!

Replaced the knackered EGR valve.

Unblocked the drains under the brake booster. Again.

Tried to sort out the mess left behind by many a windscreen replacement company.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone is skint lol

What have I done to other E60/61's this year.

Complete subframe swap, every bush, nut, bolt, and arm. Managed a blinder between us as he had already removed the old bushes from the donor subframe, we pressed all 4 in 90 degrees out...

Anyway, my tools shite now so I've had to buy the proper one from BMW that will end up being about £300 all in so I can do it again and not struggle, it can have the main bushes done on the car using this tool as well.

Diagnosed one late last year as having 2 pressure convertors not meeting minimum vacuum, he changed them but still down on power, found the maf oiled up and masking the readings from triggering a fauled, cleaned it and had a difference of 150 actual vs specified. Unplugged the maf and the car is back up to power.

Another in for random power loss, local guy so I said pop over for a live data scan... He was charged to CLEAN out the DPF, sold a new backbox (REALLY) and a remap to sort an issue.

I translated this to him in the car. They gutted your DPF, sold the guts, charged you an additional £300 for a stage 1 EGR off, DPF off, hid god only knows what DTC's and didn't fix the issue. EGT is -50c static, DPF is 0mb engine off and 1650mb running. I've told him it's a bad map, one for the N47 but not this ECU version as I see if quite a lot so said as he paid them so much money to take screenshots and go back to ask WTAF.

Other usual jobs like suspension work, stats and glow plugs...

Oh, I semi-retired this year as well 🙂

• Thanks 1

I did venture out with the idea of replacing the oil in the rear differential. I felt the ice crunching under my feet and scuttled back inside to learn more about the engineering function of the ZF mechatronics transmission 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 19/01/2023 at 09:02, Gonzo said:

Everyone is skint lol

This ^^

My thermostat failed around Xmas so I've had to order a new one and a water pump while I'm at it, along with new engine mounts to replace the ones that were dead before I bought the car last summer. 

Hoping to have the parts to fit within the next fortnight.

Needing to do the glowplugs and module too..... chain.... etc. A very long list still, with extras coming in uninvited. 

@Gonzocan ISTA be relied upon to correctly diagnose glow plugs health or is a voltmeter the most reliable method of ide tidying dead plugs? 

Edited by Humour

I think we should change the title of what we plan to do rather what we did to our cars 😀

i have a list too to carry out but no time 

1. Convert my piano black interior (which feels like a korean car) to bamboo wood - i found a nice set. I love Madeira but i cannot find a complete set 😞 

2. New intercooler as it is leaking oil

3. dash cam

4. led interior lights

5. new battery

6. book it for mechanic to find out the annoying wobble i have when driving the car

7. The list goes on….

@Tallman85

Good luck with No 6. If you find the solution, let me know. 

I may be interested in your black trims if surplus and all the clips are in place and it's the right variant with the later LCI idrive controller. 

Intercooler may just be the hoses orings. I replaced all 4 on mine as both ejd of the IC were leaking oil when I got it. 

Edited by Humour

1 hour ago, Humour said:

@Tallman85

Good luck with No 6. If you find the solution, let me know. 

I may be interested in your black trims if surplus and all the clips are in place and it's the right variant with the later LCI idrive controller. 

Intercooler may just be the hoses orings. I replaced all 4 on mine as both ejd of the IC were leaking oil when I got it. 

He's in Malta mate, wouldn't be worth the post in most cases..

And glow plugs, I just do a continuity test but if the inlet is coming off for the controller I do the plugs at the same time, I can't see the point not doing them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today i tested the smooth running control with ISTA.

I got the following results - i think it is good although it is not balanced especially cylinder two.  This is were usually @Gonzo @Clavurion comes in 😁

Will diesel injector cleaner fix the issue guys?  if there is an issue after all...

Thx. 

1808585360_Screenshot2023-01-31212326.thumb.png.b0cda513bdfefed18060a2083a17a997.png

Edited by Tallman85

14 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Today i tested the smooth running control with ISTA.

I got the following results - i think it is good although it is not balanced especially cylinder two.  This is were usually @Gonzo @Clavurion comes in 😁

Will diesel injector cleaner fix the issue guys?  if there is an issue after all...

Thx. 

1808585360_Screenshot2023-01-31212326.thumb.png.b0cda513bdfefed18060a2083a17a997.png

No real issues yet. You can see the limits mentioned there. Usually idle starts to be a bit lumpy when some of the values go above about +3.

6 minutes ago, Clavurion said:

No real issues yet. You can see the limits mentioned there. Usually idle starts to be a bit lumpy when some of the values go above about +3.

Thanks for the feedback.  To be honest my idle is rough sometimes and i think i need to do the test again as i did not rev it to 3300rpm…

Will diesel injector cleaner help ? Or they dont?

thx

35 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  To be honest my idle is rough sometimes and i think i need to do the test again as i did not rev it to 3300rpm…

Will diesel injector cleaner help ? Or they dont?

Sometimes injector cleaners do help with correctional values because they mostly correlate to the condition of injector nozzles (fuel atomisation).

8 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

noted and thanks.  I will buy some. 

I have used Liqui Molly diesel purge in past and managed to return injectors with over +5 correction values to +0.5, so it's definitely worth a try I would say. If there's already issues with injectors, ideally you want to run it clean through system. In your case it's more like preventive care, so just pour bottle in fuel tank and that's it.

1 hour ago, Ray112 said:

I have used Liqui Molly diesel purge in past and managed to return injectors with over +5 correction values to +0.5, so it's definitely worth a try I would say. If there's already issues with injectors, ideally you want to run it clean through system. In your case it's more like preventive care, so just pour bottle in fuel tank and that's it.

Many thanks Ray112.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Off outside to find a flippin rattle behind the dash, driving me and the boy mad yesterday 🤐

I had a rattle like that and it turned out to be a broken metal clip (probably from factory) sitting above the glovebox compartment and at specific rpm it rattled a metal vibrating sound!! So annoying! 

I replaced the differential oil today using Castrol 75W/90 Transmax. I am happy I bought new fill and drain plugs, the latter was badly chewed. I removed it by tapping the 14mm hex in to achieve a solid grip. I then spent 20 minutes trying to get the 14mm out of the old plug.

I used a Sealey VS405 oil syringe and although it is a quirky beast, it did the job. I managed to get 1.2 litres in before it started to dribble out.

Today:

1) I just put a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank...lets hope it will smoothen the idle.

2) I just took it to a garage and did the wheel alignment ... my rear left wheel was 3 degrees out! it looked odd from when i bought it, but i did not realize it was that bad! Now all green and nice! 

3) I have 3 out of 6 glow plugs that are down 😞 i think it hurts the DPF correct? what brand should i go for NGK or Bosch? 

Thx.

Edited by Tallman85