Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

5 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Forums fooked mate, twice I fixed it and it did it again

I hope not 😞 as the forum never recovered the people there was before.  I still wonder why the old forum people never joined back.  There were so many active users…posts and replies were so strong …

Edited by Tallman85

18 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

I hope not 😞 as the forum never recovered the people there was before.  I still wonder why the old forum people never joined back.  There were so many active users…posts and replies were so strong …

Because the backup was empty, then couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery basically and it was a car crash for god knows how long... I think that sums up the general feeling, the facebook group was full of nob ends from all over the place, I unsubscribed from that as well. Main reason I came back was I'd just paid for gold membership and was pissed off, if they refunded me I'd probably had stayed away.

It's much more fun managing 50k facebook members with the groups I'm now running 😂

Edited by Gonzo

5 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Because the backup was empty, then couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery basically and it was a car crash for god knows how long... I think that sums up the general feeling, the facebook group was full of nob ends from all over the place, I unsubscribed from that as well. Main reason I came back was I'd just paid for gold membership and was pissed off, if they refunded me I'd probably had stayed away.

It's much more fun managing 50k facebook members with the groups I'm now running 😂

Pity that facebook stole all the people from this forum.  It used to be a great place but now it is so quiet.  I don't have facebook so i cannot join any of those groups - i never bothered with Facebook.  Without a proper forum or group the car is not worth keeping. 

7 hours ago, Gonzo said:

the main problem with facebook groups is the lazy people who give no information, or understanding about what they're talking about. 

7 hours ago, dj123 said:

the main problem with facebook groups is the lazy people who give no information, or understanding about what they're talking about. 

maybe what we need is for someone to throw in this forum's link in there and the interested ones will surely join us here....

Today the car was in the garage for a gearbox service & rear diff oil change. 

Next on the list following on form some feedback at the garage is the airbags to be replaced soon, as one is starting to show cord. And to get the tow bar & assembly checked/replaced as its got a decent amount of rust on it. 

I'll be getting the airbags done soon, and will delay the towbar as its not needed the next few months so not an urgent one to get fixed. 

On 03/08/2023 at 07:04, dj123 said:

I didn't last long in the Facebook group for the reason you mentioned. I tried to help one guy who had faulty PDC sensors. I explained he could scan the codes to determine the faulty sensor or listen for the ticking. The poster insisted they were plug-and-play and needed no code scanning. Despite a futile attempt to explain the process, he wouldn't listen. 

Another user posted something like this, “I drove home last night and the car made a strange noise; any idea what it could be?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/08/2023 at 09:55, Changy said:

I didn't last long in the Facebook group for the reason you mentioned. I tried to help one guy who had faulty PDC sensors. I explained he could scan the codes to determine the faulty sensor or listen for the ticking. The poster insisted they were plug-and-play and needed no code scanning. Despite a futile attempt to explain the process, he wouldn't listen. 

Another user posted something like this, “I drove home last night and the car made a strange noise; any idea what it could be?”

You get too many snowflakes in Facebook groups giving questions first, but if you give answers which they don't like, they will start to argue about it. Why to ask for advice if you are not ready to learn and already feel smarter than others? Too many imbeciles living on earth these days. I'm afraid to think what world will become in 30 years. I have stopped to be polite to them, easier and more fun to explain exactly where they belong 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since I actually did something to the car I have something to post here.

Yesterday after work I gave it a good wash followed by a clay bar - really surprised how well the paint felt afterwards.  I was a bit daunted by the process at first but it was really very simple and didn't even take that long.

Then I set about starting a machine polish, mainly to remove some scratches down the nearside I got after being run into a hedge by a Range Rover driver who clearly thought his car was much wider than it was.

Man, that's a laborious process, no wonder the girl down the local car detailing place wanted £400 for a single stage machine polish!  So far I've only finished the first stage on the bonnet, the nearside wing and front door, but even that took about an hour and half, then the light started to fade so I packed it in.

Weather has turned again today so unless it dries up a bit I won't be doing much today.

The paint has mostly responded well so far.  The bonnet has almost 20 year's worth of chips and grit being thrown at it so I wasn't expecting miracles, but it obviously looks better than it did.  The paint on the wing and front door almost looks like it's just been repainted, that's only after the first stage and there's two more to go after that.

So far most of the above mentioned scratches have polished out, there's a couple on the door which have gone a bit deeper that haven't quite come out.  They look a whole lot better but would probably need a wet sand to rub out completely so given the age of the car I'll probably just live with them.

Anyway, I've proved if nothing else that you can actually polish a turd!

15 hours ago, olliecampbell said:

Replaced the diversity antenna....my neighbours will be thanking me for not waking them up each morning using my car alarm.

Probably a question you should have led with back when the problem started. You pull the alarm fuse and the car defaults to the horn, but also stops going off if you unlock with the key 🤣

• Haha 1

Four wheel alignment done at Ratho auto services in Edinburgh, great service as normal.

Also pulled a caravan over 600miles car was great at towing.  Adaptive cruise is so nice and amazing for age how well it adapts to towing.

Fuel not great towing average 23mpg, now back at 43mpg on return leg.

IMG_1378.jpeg

IMG_1330.jpeg

• Like 1

On 03/08/2023 at 05:07, Tallman85 said:

Pity that facebook stole all the people from this forum.  It used to be a great place but now it is so quiet.  I don't have facebook so i cannot join any of those groups - i never bothered with Facebook.  Without a proper forum or group the car is not worth keeping. 

In general, the popularity of forums has diminished with the increase in popularity of Mobile apps, like FB, Instagram, TikTok. et all. What used to be a computer screen and keyboard is now the smartphone and we are all slaves to that.

For all their "smart" claims, mobiles are really dumb at certain things, in particular typing. The keyboards are crap in general and very slow to type any length of a message with or without predictive text. Then, take into account that forum services are typically delivered via HTTP/browsers, it's a really inefficient way of doing things on a mobile.

I work in IT and it takes me x10 longer to write the same message on a smartphone than it does on a proper keyboard, and then it's full of Shagging typos despite my best efforts as the Android/iOS keyboard just cannot keep up.

Overall, there are many contributing factors all conspiring against forums today, beyond the cockup of the previous backup/maintenance of the forum.

I do agree that FB and other message platforms are not as useful, the content is of poor quality, and it typically cannot be found again, even if you do save and bookmark messages as those platforms are designed to constantly deliver new content and keep you hooked.

Doing a forum reset will always take time to rebuild its user base but without tools such as Apps, dictation on smartphones, etc. it would be difficult to capture a massive audience. There are also competitor forums to consider. There are a few US forums that are massive. I have seen many UK guys over there too because the content and the quality of the content are there to be found.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 02/08/2023 at 23:55, Gonzo said:

@Gonzo - which groups are you running? I have seen you in one I think and we have exchanged comms, but would like to join others related to the E60 if you can share?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWe60e61OwnersClubUK/

Sales group for the above, make sure you answer the last question with "Most certainly" https://www.facebook.com/groups/546714105432197/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwuk/

Sales group for the above https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949066841898043/

Finally, the reprobates, basically jokes, abuse, zero talk about cars, no snowflakes allowed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/331086537988362/

• Like 1

Condenser replaced today with new Nissens unit. Took about an hour. Quantity of road dirt stuck behind old condenser was shocking. But what can you expect after 15 years. So will try to get it regassed tomorrow or Saturday and hopefully that's air-conditioning fixed for a good while.

IMG_20230817_171612.jpg

IMG_20230817_174401.jpg

IMG_20230817_174406.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gonzo said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWe60e61OwnersClubUK/

Sales group for the above, make sure you answer the last question with "Most certainly" https://www.facebook.com/groups/546714105432197/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bmwuk/

Sales group for the above https://www.facebook.com/groups/1949066841898043/

Finally, the reprobates, basically jokes, abuse, zero talk about cars, no snowflakes allowed. https://www.facebook.com/groups/331086537988362/

Thanks. I requested to join.

I am already a member of the /bmwuk group.

LOL @ The possible answers to the "most certainly" question, like "no idea mate". Had me chuckling. I wanted to select that option. I wonder if anyone has?

18 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Condenser replaced today with new Nissens unit. Took about an hour. Quantity of road dirt stuck behind old condenser was shocking. But what can you expect after 15 years. So will try to get it regassed tomorrow or Saturday and hopefully that's air-conditioning fixed for a good while.

Yeah, it was pretty minging between the rads. Mine also had PAS fluid residue everywhere from a previous cooler leak I was told about when buying. Took an extra 15-20 mins to really clean everything out and degrease it.

You will be happy with the AC after a new rad has been fitted, it's chilly, to say the least. 🥶

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Humour said:

Thanks. I requested to join.

I am already a member of the /bmwuk group.

LOL @ The possible answers to the "most certainly" question, like "no idea mate". Had me chuckling. I wanted to select that option. I wonder if anyone has?

When I vet them if I had 100 (and often do) maybe 5 will get in with the right question and if they look dodgy I decline as well lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Humour said:

Yeah, it was pretty minging between the rads. Mine also had PAS fluid residue everywhere from a previous cooler leak I was told about when buying. Took an extra 15-20 mins to really clean everything out and degrease it.

You will be happy with the AC after a new rad has been fitted, it's chilly, to say the least. 🥶

Managed to get it booked in for regassing tomorrow morning. Hopefully there's still some hot days left in this year. But even at 17° if left in sun all day black car turns into sauna, so surely AC will be useful.

On 18/08/2023 at 20:50, Ray112 said:

Managed to get it booked in for regassing tomorrow morning. Hopefully there's still some hot days left in this year. But even at 17° if left in sun all day black car turns into sauna, so surely AC will be useful.

I use mine more in winter than in summer. 

Getting moisture off the inside of the glass in winter without AC I'd a PITA.