Forum 5

What did you do to your E60/61 today?

Tallman85

On 09/03/2024 at 13:35, Tallman85 said:

😂😂😂😂

Egyptian Pharos would have a problem.   

Lucky for them they don't drive BMW's and the horse carriages usually have a driver so I'm guessing that would be an Egyptian Pharaoh driver problem but I doubt Pharaoh's have much concern about conforming to Human rights and Health and safety laws 😉

If you are that bothered, send me one of your new ones and I'll send you one knakcered one back, then you'll be golden 😜

• Haha 1

On 09/03/2024 at 13:22, Jens said:

.hile he was here he ran a full diagnostic and that was a laugh, found a whole host of issues, most of which were my fault for letting the battery run flat a few months ago.  Cleared all of those but was left with some faults for features I never knew the car had. Like the auxiliary water pump is apparently duff - never knew it had one!

I had that fault as well. Ordered a used pump from a scrapper on eBay and fitted it. The fault went away. I also still don't know if it does anything useful to me or not lol

The issue with these cars is that you do need a scanning tool to know what's going on, otherwise you will be non the wiser as the car slowly acquires faults until one day it just stops working.

The problem I found is that in my case with Carly or Bimmerlink (I dont recall which), it reports faults that ISTA (the BMW diag tool) doesn't show. So sometimes it's hard to know what to believe. Now I go with what ISTA reports and the others I use as a convenience check before I get the laptop out for a proper health check. 

Edited by Humour
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

Guys

what brand of oil filter, air filter, oil you use for the a diesel engine service on e60?  Im planning my own service this time.  Thx.

Doesn't matter much the brand for oil as long as it is certified for the use case, not sure if in your engine LL04 is the one or Low Saps, etc. To me it doesn't matter which oil just I just make sure the grade is correct as I change oil twice a year without fail no matter the mileage so the oil longevity is not a consideration for me. 

For filter, the one that supplies all the parts in the kit, like the Origns etc. I've used Bosch and a few others before, depending on what's on a deal at the time. 

13 hours ago, Humour said:

Doesn't matter much the brand for oil as long as it is certified for the use case, not sure if in your engine LL04 is the one or Low Saps, etc. To me it doesn't matter which oil just I just make sure the grade is correct as I change oil twice a year without fail no matter the mileage so the oil longevity is not a consideration for me. 

For filter, the one that supplies all the parts in the kit, like the Origns etc. I've used Bosch and a few others before, depending on what's on a deal at the time. 

yes I usually change it every 10,000km to 11,000km  which is a year for me.

filters, probably as you said i would go for Bosch or Mann

grade to be honest i need to check since here it is hotter, but so for it always had synthetic 5w30

curiosity, how often should he fuel filter be changed? 

3 hours ago, Tallman85 said:

thx @Gonzo

what about fuel filter, howe often should that be changed? 

BMW suggests every 3rd oil service, which in theory is 57k miles (19k oil service interval according to BMW), or reduced if fuel quality in region is not the best.  I would say 40k miles sounds about reasonable, unless you know it's poor quality diesel.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Fuel filters every 3rd oil change but that's based on 18k miles CBS so 4 years, 60k miles, just a decent brand will do

6 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

BMW suggests every 3rd oil service, which in theory is 57k miles (19k oil service interval according to BMW), or reduced if fuel quality in region is not the best.  I would say 40k miles sounds about reasonable, unless you know it's poor quality diesel.

Thanks guys…mine is still at 25,000km since last change so I guess it still has some life in it.  Plus the place it is located is not so user friendly to change. So not for this service 🙂 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

Thanks guys…mine is still at 25,000km since last change so I guess it still has some life in it.  Plus the place it is located is not so user friendly to change. So not for this service 🙂 

25k km is about 15k miles, so plenty of life left there.

• Thanks 1

Good prices came up on autodoc, so I couldn't resist and bought front koni special active shock absorbers and front sachs springs ( the same rated as from factory). Rear ones were out of stock, and I'm quite happy to spread the cost over two months or so.

Anyone knows what's the usual shipping time?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ray112 said:

Good prices came up on autodoc, so I couldn't resist and bought front koni special active shock absorbers and front sachs springs ( the same rated as from factory). Rear ones were out of stock, and I'm quite happy to spread the cost over two months or so.

I don’t know about autodoc cause they don’t ship to Malta anymore (sadly) but I found this really good and prices better than amazon. I bought the stabilus from here.

https://m.motointegrator.de/

16 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Interested to get your opinion on the build quality (perceived ofcourse) and the performance of the Konis once fitted. 

Edited by Humour

14 hours ago, Humour said:

Interested to get your opinion on the build quality (perceived ofcourse) and the performance of the Konis once fitted. 

Love mine, when I replace them I'll paint the spring seats and possibly give the shocks a better coat of paint as it does let them down after a couple of years.

18 hours ago, Ray112 said:

Aim for 2 weeks max, average 7 days

• Like 1

Not a huge amount....another year, another rear parking replaced.

Slowly working towards changing the glow plugs, new controller last year, cable in this week. Still 6 dead plugs being reported. I'm due to get the inlet manifold off to change the gaskets and I'll check the resistance on each glow plug before just changing them all.

1 minute ago, Gonzo said:

And I just bought comfort access 😅

Now I have an excuse to fit the soft close kit that's been sat in the garage for a year

Seems that Mars fingers are back to work again! 😂

And what is comfort access anyway?

10 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

And I just bought comfort access 😅

Now I have an excuse to fit the soft close kit that's been sat in the garage for a year

Looks like plans for HUD retrofit are in future as well. 

Trying to get all optional extras available?

On 12/03/2024 at 20:52, Ray112 said:

Looks like plans for HUD retrofit are in future as well. 

Trying to get all optional extras available?

Working my way through the list 😉

And yes, HUD is coming next week.

Comfort climate screen is on the cards as well.

On 12/03/2024 at 20:43, Tallman85 said:

Seems that Mars fingers are back to work again! 😂

And what is comfort access anyway?

Key only needs to be in your pocket to open and start the car.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gonzo said:

Key only needs to be in your pocket to open and start the car.

interesting...we had a Toyota Auris from 2007 and it had that feature...and a BMW x3 the price does not have it! it is very handy i must say.  I guess, you need a module, wiring, new keys...programming...etc.. ?

59 minutes ago, Tallman85 said:

interesting...we had a Toyota Auris from 2007 and it had that feature...and a BMW x3 the price does not have it! it is very handy i must say.  I guess, you need a module, wiring, new keys...programming...etc.. ?

Module, 5 antennas, 4 door handle mounts as they house capacitive sensors, and a bunch of wiring... I'll be pulling the car to bits to do this lot.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gonzo said:

Module, 5 antennas, 4 door handle mounts as they house capacitive sensors, and a bunch of wiring... I'll be pulling the car to bits to do this lot.

Wow!  You are courageous!