Forum 5

G30 possible purchase

Tim

I am currently considering buying either a 530d or 540i G30 saloon. What’s everyone’s thoughts on sports versus SE, derv v petrol etc.

I want a vehicle that is going to last as I am looking at retirement next year. I don’t expect to do much more than 3-4k miles annually so fuel economy is not a priority, but comfort and gadgets are.

• 4 weeks later...

Go with the petrol in my humble opinion.

Diesel with AD-blue, EGR issues,Particulates and the current and enduring villan on emissions front as we hurtle towards a so called electric utopia...aren't worth it?

I've driven both petrol and diesel powered cars, but only ever owned petrol powered cars.

Choose your options wisely, otherwise you'll be forever pushing buttons or scrolling menus, or switching stuff off.

Only yesterday where I live, a 5 series X-drive totalled a telegraph pole.  The driver was unharmed, but the front was a mess and all the air bags deployed. Easily £10k+ damage to a 70 plate that cost £60k with options....The driver said the active driving controls were on and the car swerved to avoid an animal that dashed across the road as he wrestled with the wheel.

Had some real wrestling matches with my “active controls” over the miles. When they did have to kick in they saved me rather than screwing me.  The purpose of these things is to assist the driver and he/she should not be abdicating any responsibility for controlling the car!

You’re in charge and therefore need to be fully “on it” all of the time.

A sudden tug of the steering wheel is easily overcome, the “Bling Bling” followed by application of brakes not so. You have to keep your eyes on the road, observe and anticipate so the car doesn’t have to intervene.

Trouble is, a 5er is so competent & comfortable one needs to constantly remind oneself you are piloting a two-tonne projectile.