Forum 5

Warranty - Warrantywise Platinum or BMW Aftermarket?

McBeemer

So - finally found myself a nice petrol F10....

I have a couple of options in terms of warranty (it comes with 3 months standard).

Dealer has offered me a 12 month Warrantywise Platinum warranty for cost; just under £500 with a 5k claim limit. Full cover including airbags, media and emissions as well.

Or I can go with BMW Aftermarket:

Choose your Cover Level ?
Comprehensive Warranty Named Component Warranty Driveline Warranty Roadside Assistance Only 

Comprehensive Warranty
Excess: £250
£853.00 per year
Select this product
MONTHLY PAY AS YOU GO?
Comprehensive Warranty
Excess: £250
£84.00 each month
Select this product

I'm inclined to take the initial 3 months and then 6 months BMW just for some comfort for initial ownership snags.

Welcome any thoughts/experiences.

This is one of the “you pays your money etc.” questions and without having any experience personally I can’t say anything about Warrantywise. They do seem to have quite a few poor reviews on Trustpilot though but I’ve got to say that’s been the case with every single warranty company I’ve ever looked into. One (maybe big) consideration is that they specifically don’t cover any sort of pre-existing fault and it seems that they are fairly rigorous in applying this so there’s a risk that a failure might not be covered if an independent assessor says that it was already on its way out. If your vehicle has a full BMW service history that might minimise that risk.

I’d say the BMW comprehensive warranty is well-nigh bulletproof although it’s also pretty expensive. You’d also be covered for the full BMW dealer repair costs (I’d guess Warrantywise won’t cover their hourly rate) and excellent recovery, loan car and genuine spare parts etc. It’s what I’d go for.

Edited by BobA
  • Like 1

I took up a similar offer with the dealer when I bought my current F11.

I'd previously had a Warranty Direct policy with my E61 but found them difficult to deal with.

Warranty Wise were better in that they were open to negotiation on the premium, offered the option of BMW dealership labour rates and their claim process was efficient (thankfully only a couple of minor claims). In fact, they dealt directly with the dealer's service staff. 

I'm sure there will be people who will have had a different experience. 

I parted company with them when my car got to an age where their policy would only cover the drivetrain and imposed other restrictions. 

Having said all that,  I'd be tempted with your plan of taking out a BMW warranty to begin with on the basis that you'll want to get any faults you identify rectified without any stress. They may even offer you a better deal if you call them...

After that, you can continue,  switch or just self insure by setting aside the premiums. All depends on your attitude to risk and how well your car behaves...

Hope you enjoy many trouble free miles!

On 25/11/2022 at 11:26, bmwmike said:

@McBeemer congrats on new car. What did you get, 535i?

Found a nice 65 plate highly specced 535i M Sport with 48k miles on it (HK, HUD, memory seats with lumbar/folding mirrors/4 zone climate - long list). Collect it tomorrow with some minor reservations as I was aiming for an G30 540i after selling the 530d but the 540i prices are just silly for 5-6000 miles a year I currently do. On average the jump from F10 to G30 is around £7-8k. Just couldnt justify it.

• 4 weeks later...