Forum 5

HID aftermarket conversion kit?

I’m sure there were threads on this on the old site, but now the dark nights have arrived, I took the plunge and bought a cheap HID kit off fleabay.

I fitted an H4 kit to a Honda back in the day so I’m happy with the concept of fitting HID ballasts and canbus error surpressors etc 

However it’s a pig of a job on an F10 as it’s wheelarch liner out - can’t access from the engine bay top and restricted access through the bulb flap.

Anyway what’s confused me is that the new cheap bulbs provided have a plastic base, and look nothing like the H7 halogen bulb I removed. So locating the new bulb is all down to the crappy twist clip that attaches to the bulb holder-like the pic attached.

You can’t reuse the old clips on HID bulbs as they won’t fit over the new HID sub harness/grommets.

And no new clips were included in the new kit.

So I assume it’s a case of cutting the old clips to prise them over the harness by the bulb holder???

Anyone been here before ?

Cheers

B96D8431-D6C4-4A10-9EBA-1DCFD3E2674A.png

Off advice on here I bought a kit on eBay and specific clips and it worked a treat. Fwiw I mounted mine from above by removing the plastic covers above each wing/arch. Easy and invisible.  If I was doing it again I'd whip a wheel off and remove the liner. If you've a driver / drill it's really not hard to get the liner out and back in a again.

Night and day difference compared to halogens. 

edit not sure if those are the clips I used and it was a bit of a pig to get them in, easier with wheel off, but once in they were fine.

Edited by bmwmike