Forum 5

Time for winter tyres!

BobA

So -2 degrees here this morning and time for the switch to my winter wheels/tyres. Luckily it was dry and a balmy 3 degrees here today so 2 hours or so did it including resetting the tyre pressure monitor to the different wheels and sorting the pressures. The tyres (Goodyear) are directional so swapping is limited but I swap front to rear each year. Having been caught out before with my trolley jack being too high I remembered to put the wheels up on blocks first so I could get the jack out afterwards. The wheels needed firm encouragement with a lump hammer on the tyres to get them off and alas I still forgot to get any suitable grease so they’ll likely be stuck again come Spring. 😉

C269F250-A2C3-43BC-8462-C31946C930E5.jpeg

Summer wheel coming off

745D2978-3275-4F41-A1E1-E1C57262C764.jpeg

winter wheel going on. Bolts torqued to 140N.

4F5FB36F-6007-4548-97A1-7BD628CDB128.jpeg

job done. Note the correct use of the rubber puck to save the jacking point and the stud to assist with refitting these bloomin’ heavy wheels!

(wish I could get the hang of getting the pics the right way up! 🙃)

Edited by BobA

• 3 weeks later...

I too, put my winter tyres on last week, my summer 19's are stored away and the M&S 18's are on and gripping so much better in the wet slippery conditions than my summer set, my son was starting to call me DK (Drift King!!) on the summer set 😂🤣

My only trouble is that i cannot get the TPMS system to recognise the winter wheels as they have never been used on this car before (BMW 520d 2015 F10) because i bought them from someone on Ebay with nearly brand new tyres on, and reset the Idrive tyre pressure bit, but after 5 minutes or so, it gives me an error.

I do have Bimmerlink and Bimmercode and wondered if there was a way of linking or registering a second set of wheels with my car ?

Thankyou

7 minutes ago, Top2donkey said:

I too, put my winter tyres on last week, my summer 19's are stored away and the M&S 18's are on and gripping so much better in the wet slippery conditions than my summer set, my son was starting to call me DK (Drift King!!) on the summer set 😂🤣

My only trouble is that i cannot get the TPMS system to recognise the winter wheels as they have never been used on this car before (BMW 520d 2015 F10) because i bought them from someone on Ebay with nearly brand new tyres on, and reset the Idrive tyre pressure bit, but after 5 minutes or so, it gives me an error.

I do have Bimmerlink and Bimmercode and wondered if there was a way of linking or registering a second set of wheels with my car ?

Thankyou

They should synch automatically but only if they are the same frequency and compatible with your car.