Forum 5

The old site

admin

• admin pinned this topic

I found my thread on all the work I did getting the G31 OE towing electrics working but it won’t open. 

I’ve still got all the pictures so I’ll just re-do the post when I have time. 

Is just posting in the technical section for your model the back place for how to guides?

• Like 1

Hi, everyone, can I ask what happenened with the old site? I joined in 2020 and found it useful. Some members were really helpful. I didn't use the site for a while and when I went back, it was gone,  suddenly part of Facebook.  I don't use social media, so looked to see what else was available.  Accessing a little used tablet yesterday, I clicked on the link from the old site and voila, a bit of deja view and rejoined.  So will this site stick around, or is there likely to be a repeat of whatever happened to the old site? Thanks in advance, if anyone can clarify what happened.

On 07/09/2022 at 22:39, duncan-uk said:

Its only a screen shot of the site, not an active site some links might now work but i found if you go into the subsectiosn you can see things.

Just an alert to everyone that the snapshot of the old site is incomplete.

For example, the Technical > E39 1996-2004 sub-forum shows 1028 pages of topics:
image.png.cd1d6b08ba47a617563290f86079f0a0.png
However, you can only progress 11 pages deep until Wayback stops and says it hasn't archived that content.

Checking Wayback to see how many of the sub-forum pages (needed to access those 25k topics) were actually archived, and we only have 318 of the 1028 with many being alternate sorting order etc. meaning we have a lot less – and this is just for one sub-forum.

---

Is there a possibility that we could have restored a read-only version of the old site at archive.bmw5.co.uk or old.bmw5.co.uk? Or at the very least a torrent of the backup (with sensitive user/admin data stripped out) for the more driven of us to trawl through and recreate DIYs and info anew?

Have many bookmarks and tabs that are now "Sorry, we could not find that!" without an archive backup; like many others, I'm sure.

On 18/09/2022 at 08:42, Grace said:

Just an alert to everyone that the snapshot of the old site is incomplete.

For example, the Technical > E39 1996-2004 sub-forum shows 1028 pages of topics:
image.png.cd1d6b08ba47a617563290f86079f0a0.png
However, you can only progress 11 pages deep until Wayback stops and says it hasn't archived that content.

Checking Wayback to see how many of the sub-forum pages (needed to access those 25k topics) were actually archived, and we only have 318 of the 1028 with many being alternate sorting order etc. meaning we have a lot less – and this is just for one sub-forum.

---

Is there a possibility that we could have restored a read-only version of the old site at archive.bmw5.co.uk or old.bmw5.co.uk? Or at the very least a torrent of the backup (with sensitive user/admin data stripped out) for the more driven of us to trawl through and recreate DIYs and info anew?

Have many bookmarks and tabs that are now "Sorry, we could not find that!" without an archive backup; like many others, I'm sure.

I'm agree with you.

I was upgrading my E39 with a CP3 + Rail and some else and I cannot end the upgrade. 

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...